The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a potentially silly question here. I currently house 2 half dollar sized angels, 5 bloodfins, 2 ottos, and 1 peppered cory in a 29 gal tank. Sitting back and looking at my tank tonight, it looks like it needs something.....

I know my tank is pretty full...but do you think I could add any more? I almost didnt want to ask because I dont wanna get flamed on here!!! The tank is pretty heavily planted, and filtration shouldnt be a problem. (Aquaclear 70 HOB) Its just those angels!!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You may be fine for numbers, but a 29g is pushing it for two Angels....even 1 is pushing it. Now it may look okay. Angels grow very fast and are very large vertically. You really need a 55g if you want two. I just look at the size of mine that I have in my 125g and know there is no way they would do very well in my 29.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You may be fine for numbers, but a 29g is pushing it for two Angels....even 1 is pushing it. Now it may look okay. Angels grow very fast and are very large vertically. You really need a 55g if you want two. I just look at the size of mine that I have in my 125g and know there is no way they would do very well in my 29.
I agree

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
u could get 2 more corys... but i think that would be it...
I agree with this, corys prefer groups.

Rule of thumb I have heard from wkndracer who has lots and lots of angels is absolute minimum is 15 gal per angel. So with substrate and plants and other decor a 29 gallon is definitely pushing it and not ideal. That said I have two angels (a pair) in my 29 and they are fine so far.

Your tank won't be heavily planted for long if you keep silver dollars in it...
umm he said "half-dollar sized angels" nothing about silver dollars.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Rule of thumb I have heard from wkndracer who has lots and lots of angels is absolute minimum is 15 gal per angel. So with substrate and plants and other decor a 29 gallon is definitely pushing it and not ideal. That said I have two angels (a pair) in my 29 and they are fine so far.
Rules of thumb as they are called, should just be used as a starting point and that is it. Add another variable and the rule of thumb changes.

The OPs tank is heavily planted....a heavily planted tank will not work for 2 adult Angels. Or, if someone tries it....poor fish. Not to say they won't live. A heavily planted 29g, as I look to my left at mine, is just not enough room for 2 Angels, God forbid they be close to full grown. Maybe for an empty tank for like a breeding pair or something. Other than that, it's just a matter of time before stress starts to tear apart the tank.

A similar discussion:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/151099-do-i-have-room-angels.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.