The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's going to be a little while yet until I have my 75 gallon tank set up, but this is going to be my first large tank, and I have exactly zero experience with larger fish, and their needs. I was thinking about getting one Black Ghost Knife Fish, 5 clown loaches, about 8 kuhli loaches, and maybe 5 or 6 apistogrammas (or some other dwarf cichlid) Is this too much? The Kuhlis will stay pretty small, and I'm sure the dwarf cichlids will be alright, but clown loaches get pretty large (I've heard up to 16 inches) I've also heard that it can take 5+ years for them to get that large though. I also have read that the clown loaches do far better in groups of 5 or more.
Will this be far too many large fish for a 75? Or will I be alright?

And by the way, I know the Kuhlis, and possibly the dwarf cichlids may end up being lunch for the BGKF. But from what I've read about them, they eat smaller fish more out of boredom, or hunger. Not really due to being aggressive. So I figure if I keep the BGKF well fed, maybe my dwarf cichlids will make it. Anyone agree/disagree? Any comments, concerns, whines, gripes, or complaints are welcome.

Edit: I would also like to put in a weather loach or tow (or however many it takes to make them happy) Am I pushing the limits in stocking this thing?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I believe that the clown loaches will be far too big for that size. The ghost knife gets pretty big too but they're not boisterous or social so it would be worth trying. Those clown loaches may grow slow, but in time they will look like caged animals. They're better suited for 6 to 8 foot tanks. It's a shame theyre sold so commonly and cheap.

·
Registered
689 Posts
you have a situation here where you want to mix larger fish with what they will consider food. I mean eveyrone will be fine when they are young but it is going to go wrong and your kuhli loaches will get eaten. Don't try to make it work because you can't.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep that in mind with the Kuhlis. I'll keep em separate, and see what kind of personality the BGKF will have.

I've done a bit of reading on the clown loaches, and it looks like I'll be fine as to them growing too large. A lot of them take about 2-3 years to reach 6 inches, and by then I "should" be on the other side of the country, in hopefully the last house we're going to buy.

Nonetheless, what about stocking? Lets say we skip the kuhlis. Would 6 rams/apistos, 5 clown loaches, and a BGKF be alright in a 75?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.