The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for advice on stocking an empty 37 gal. I'm used to nano fish; would schools of nano fish get lost in a 37 gal? I'm worried I would never see them because they would be so small. For example, Dario dario or CPDs. I am also unsure of what size schools I should purchase.

Thank you!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't have these fish, but I am about to add them to my new 10 gallon build so I have done a lot of research on them. Dario dario could be good. However you need to be careful with schooling fish as schoolers stress them out, and out compete them for food. The good and bad news is that CPD don't school. From what I have read, is that usually the only time you really get to see them is feeding time. I think you could do quite a lot with nano fish, and not have them get lost. Just do all of your research and think about what all of the fish in the tank want. Like how much flow is a big part of keeping nano fish. Best of luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't really comment on school size, that will end up being your choice, but they'd hardly be lost in a 37 gallon. With 37 gallons, you can get some nice numbers going in there.

Keep in mind people regularly stock their 100-500+ gallon tanks with neon and cardinal tetras. The schools of small fish are great for tricking the eye and making a tank look larger than it is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't really comment on school size, that will end up being your choice, but they'd hardly be lost in a 37 gallon. With 37 gallons, you can get some nice numbers going in there.

Keep in mind people regularly stock their 100-500+ gallon tanks with neon and cardinal tetras. The schools of small fish are great for tricking the eye and making a tank look larger than it is.
True! That's why I'd like to stick with my favorite nano fish: to make the tank look larger!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
They won't get lost if you put 50+ in there. Plant the tank heavily and you can basically just add tiny schoolers until it looks about full, you'll reach visual capacity far before you reach bio-load capacity. You could probably have 60 chili rasboras if you wanted to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They won't get lost if you put 50+ in there. Plant the tank heavily and you can basically just add tiny schoolers until it looks about full, you'll reach visual capacity far before you reach bio-load capacity. You could probably have 60 chili rasboras if you wanted to.
That's exciting. If you all know online vendors you recommend please pass it on!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.