The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want something fun and interesting to watch... i have tetras in my other tank and i really enjoy watching them but i think i want something different in this tank.

it is 30 gallons. it has play sand as substrate and i plan to heavily plant it. it is still cycling so i won't be getting fish real soon.

i would like a community tank, i think.

any suggestions... i am open to anything!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
2 otos, 4 dwarf corys (like hastatus, pygmys etc.) 2 apple snails, 2 L134s and 100 shrimp or instead of shrimp 15 galaxy rasboras aka celestial pearl danios.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

To be honest, I am not really sure what I like. I know I don't like mollies or platys really. I would like cichlids but I don't know anything about them really. There are some pretty cool looking ones at my lfs now but I don't know if I can get a pair, they won't let me buy a few and return the rest after I get a pair. Also, I don't know exactly what kind they are. I am sure they could tell me if I called, though.

I just feel like all I see at my lfs are tetras of some sort, gouramis, mollies, goldfish, and now those cichlids. I can probably order something in...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 otos, 4 dwarf corys (like hastatus, pygmys etc.) 2 apple snails, 2 L134s and 100 shrimp or instead of shrimp 15 galaxy rasboras aka celestial pearl danios.
Thanks. I will have to look up some of the fish you listed. I think i will stay away from Apple snails, the last time I had them they ate all my plants. :(

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Apple snails can be cana or brigs. If you get brigs (usually called mystery snails) they stay a lot smaller than canas and they will not eat your plants. I bred them for years and all my tanks are planted. I never had a problem with my brigs eating the plants.
But if you decide against them you could up the otos to 3 and the corys to 5, both of those species would love to have more of their own kind anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What is a L134???

More of the dwarf cories! There are some threads here (fairly recent) where people talk about how cool they are in larger groups. Some of the sellers here have them!

I really like nerite snails--don't reproduce in fresh water, but people report that they sometimes do leave eggs on glass.

I really would check out the fish sold by people here. Very nice fish, more interesting than what you'll likely get at the LFS.

Leah

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
L134 is a Leopard Frog pleco. I also like the nerite idea, especially if you do not want to go with the apple/mystery snails. I have nerites and if you mix them, like one olive, one tracked, one spotted, one horned, they won't breed and you won't get the eggs everywhere. The eggs won't hatch in fresh water but do look a bit annoying. I don't terribly mind them and they disappear over time but if you mix the different nerites, eggs won't be a problem in the first place. But if you get nerites, omit the otos. There won't be enough algae for both, nerites and otos.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The l134 was what I had to look up! Haha!

I can't get snails in Newfoundland, they are considered an invasive species. Well, my lfs just started selling apple snails again. They said since st. John's stores were they would too. They look just like the big one I had before that ate all my plants. I am thinking about asking them to get me some mts.

I love cories. I have 2 in my other tank right now. That is all my lfs had at the time. I am planning to up the number to 6 total.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really would check out the fish sold by people here. Very nice fish, more interesting than what you'll likely get at the LFS.

Leah
i would love to get some fish from some of the sellers here but i am so nervous they won't make the trip. i live in a pretty rural community in newfoundland and mail is very slow coming. :( i have ordered plants but i don't think i feel confident enough in the postal system to order fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts