The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am relatively new fishkeeper, as I've just had my Betta for 6months now.
And I'm finally ready for a bigger tank!
I am currently in the process of cycling a 20gal high

And I'd like to stock it with the following:

2 dwarf honey gouramis
2 (or more) black phantom tetras
6 pygmy corydoras

Are those to many? And should the phantom's be kept in a larger group? I noticed my lfs also has a red variety that looks like the phantom tetra's, would I be able to mix those? (3 and 3 or maybe 2 and 4)

Edit: Just to be clear the betta WILL NOT be in the 20gal

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
True honey gourami can be kept in small groups, they are not the same as dwarf gourami which are territorial.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Honey Gourami's are very peaceful, so any number can be kept together and there won't be any real fighting. Maybe just some chasing, but that is different. If you want to see how they act in nature you want to go with 4-6 minimum. I don't think m/f really matters, but few males will reduce any minimal risk of fighting. They are cute fish though and entertaining even solo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou, I appreciate everyones help in all this :)

Are the black phantom's too aggressive? Or too active?
I just really love there look :p

In regard to strictly the number of fish, would that be adequate?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
How is the temper of the betta? be prepared if he gets comfy and starts chomping at people. I had one go on a killing spree in a 29 gallon planted tank. He has very naughty and had to go live in a 5 gal by himself. :)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
If you get dwarf gourami 1 m and 3 f in a well planted 20g tank with plenty of tall plants or decor for line of sight break up will work well.
If you get honey gourami, I don't think you have to worry as much about having more than 1 male, they're just not as aggressive. Also the honey gourami is not prone to the dwarf gourami disease aka dwarf gourami iridovirus.

I didn't even notice that you have a betta on the current stock list. That can be a problem, betta and gourami are from the same big family, Anabantoids, and can end up fighting when put together. I have seen 1 video of a betta and gourami living together fine, but I usually hear about them tearing eachother apart. They are both upper level fish, make bubble nests (males) and stake out territories. Bettas have been bred for fighting and are generally aggressive, they may do ok with some fish, but put it with another betta or something that looks like a betta (gourami is close enough).. it can get ugly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the confusion I have NO intentions of putting my betta in the 20gal, he will stay happy & healthy in his 5gal.

I do intend to get specifically, the honey gourami. And it'll probably be one of this fish I had last (I'd like to start with the cories)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts