The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've got water in my 46g now, so it's time to start thinking about fish. (Don't worry, I'm going to let it cycle and give the plants time to grow a bit.)

The fish that really interest me so far are: rummy nose tetras, german blue rams, otos or corys, and maybe angels. I've probably wanted an angel since I was 6 years old, and I've never had one. Any suggestions there on stocking numbers, order, etc. would be great.

I currently have 3 pair of full red fancy guppies that I will probably move to this tank. I'm not sure if I want all 6 in the 46g or just the males?? Water chemistry-wise, these seem like the odd man out. Don't they prefer harder water, while the list above all prefer a bit softer, acidic water?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'd love to know how many of each would be recommended as well. I've been keeping reefs for 10 years, but I'm a noob when it comes to FW fish. Thanks so much!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Hmmm...

Angels can be tricky in tanks smaller than 55gal, as there's not room for many adults, and they can get nasty with each other if they pair off for spawning.

If you start out with a half dozen juveniles and then are willing to part with them once they reach maturity, I'd shoot for just one adult pair in a tank this size.

Then a pair of GBRs, and small schools of Rummies, Otos, and Cories to round it all out.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the water paramters if you want to mix guppies in, as long as the water isn't too terribly soft (if it's under pH 6.0 then I wouldn't go there). You'll just have to watch total bioload, especially since you're stocking so many cichlids, and cichlids tend to be high bioload fish.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The guppies are probably fine; the only issue I could see with them in there is the rams or the angels maybe eating them. Definitely go for the angels; you won't be disappointed! (Though as an angel breeder, I'm biased...lol)

I'd go for two angels in a tank that size, and one or two rams. You could add a small group of the rummynose, say 6 or so and a few of the otos and cories.

Tank-bred varieties of 'soft water' South American fish don't really usually need the water parameters changed to what they'd live in in the wild; they will acclimate to a variety of conditions. I have kept and bred angelfish in water that was very hard with a pH of 8 out of the tap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm fine doing either the rams or angels since I want a pretty big school of tetras. I'd probably do the minimum recommended number of otos or cories. How many of these? Is 1 or 2 ok? I'm not that fond of bottom swimmers. I think the cories will be easier to find locally.

It's good to know that most of these fish will adapt to a wide range of water params.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd go with a school of 5 or 6 Cories. 1- they're great scavengers, and scavengers are really helpful when you've got messy cichlids, and 2- Cories are much more comfortable in schools than kept in small numbers. I'd also get 3-4 Otos, for similar reasons.

Adult angels are many times the size of adult Rams, so you'd have to decide which you're getting before being able to figure out how much room you've got left for other fish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you recommend a pH, temp and alkalinity that I should be shooting for if I keep the fish mentioned above. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts