The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are 498793494 threads all related to stocking, and I have looked through quite a few of them, but I still have a question regarding my current stock.

I have 8 neons, 1 otto, and 3 1/2 rescued guppies (1 juvie) in a 10 gallon. My question is whether or not I am currently way overstocked, and if not can I add another otto or two so he won't be so lonely.

Sorry for adding another stocking thread to the forum, I just want to make sure I don't bomb my tank. :icon_conf

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
as long as you maintain good water quality you will not be over stocked the way it is now... even with a few ottos... its not much of a bioload and if the system is running and established you can add them without a second thought

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. My water quality has been good and I've been keeping up on weekly water changes. As for the guppies, they're all girls so I shouldn't have to worry about a breeding factory opening for business. I learned that lesson the hard way the first time around. ;)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Oto's need lots of algae for their longterm health. Adding more oto's could result in no alage and slowly starving oto's. Some report that these little fish will adapt to vegetable matter and or alage wafers or disc's but many of these fish are still wild caught,and as such ,,,may or may not adapt to foods that they are not familiar with. Too many folks in my view,at the first sign of algae rush out to purchas these little fellas and once the little fish clear the alage,(it's what they do) they slowly starve for lack of their primary food.Just my opinion and entirely from my expiereinces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts