The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been quite a while since ive done a community tank, most of my cichlid tanks have been just a few fish. So wanted to get a second opinion on numbers here. Tanks a 56g, going to be well planted, cascade 1000 canister filter.

Heres the fish list

Glolight Tetras (have 12 right now)
Peppered Cories. (have 8 right now)
either a Angel or a pair of Rams.

im thinking 20-24 tetras, 8 cories, and the pair of rams or angel. im leaning towards the angel the tall tank just screams angelfish.

Would a pair of angels work in this tank, or would it be too small for the pair to stay peacefully with the tetras. i would get a group of small ones and let them pair off, alot of what ive read suggest if you start the angels out small with the tetras they usually wont bother them unless theres a shortage or territory for the angels. or would i be better sticking to a single angel.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As far as stocking in terms of biological filtration, you're ok.

In terms of compatibility I'm not sure...the only fish I'm not sure of are the Angels...they may eat some of the smaller fish. A pair of Rams would be nice but they're going to be much smaller than Angels so they won't fill out the tank as much as you'd probably like. With a 55G you either have little open water (meaning heavy planting) and small fish or open water and either a large fish or a large school of fish, imo.

I'm sure though that you could keep both angels and rams as long as you have a nice corner with cover for the rams to stake out.

Aside form the Angels possibly consuming some of the smaller fish (which you'll have to get verification from someone with angel experience - they may in fact not but I'd check), I don't see a problem with your tank. You're probably understocked for a 55g that is medium to heavily planted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.