The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank and a Fluval 407 canister filter. I'm thinking of turning it into a low-tech Asian community aquarium. What do you think about these fish choices and the stocking level?

-15 Black ruby barbs
-10 cherry barbs
-3 pearl gouramis
-6 Kuhli loaches or another type of loach
-1 male paradise fish

Is there room to add to any of the schools or to add other fish? I'd love a pair of cichlid but there are no good Asian cichlid options. A place near me carries orange chromides, but they're kept in brakish water.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The filter circulation of a 407 is rated by Fluval at 245gph.

So, if you have a bit of air below your rim and good amount of hard scape, you’d be right at 4x turnover.

The stocking looks “fine”. Different schools of thought on that, obviously. Some people are 50% water changer types, every week. I like to under stock, over filter and do fewer water changes.

Depends on how your Kuhlis behave, but most seem to be nocturnal. Great for snail control, like all omnivore loaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
IME, kuhlis don’t really eat snails. I had a large breeding colony in my old 85 and never noticed any impact on my population of pond snails. Maybe they were keeping it in check, but I really don’t think so.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IME, kuhlis don’t really eat snails. I had a large breeding colony in my old 85 and never noticed any impact on my population of pond snails. Maybe they were keeping it in check, but I really don’t think so.
I’m not adding kuhlis for snail removal.

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
This isn't the sewer of Fakebook or Twatter. Y'all may have had your personal filters warped by the way people behave on those sites but you can't behave that way here.

Don't be intentionally dumb, don't insult others, don't start drama for the sake of gaslighting others. No one has the energy for that these days - never mind that those things are a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.

Not cleaning this thread up again without perma-bans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts