The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently re-setup my 55 gallon. I used to have a huge school of Neon Tetras in there and a smaller sized school of Rummy Nose Tetras. I do like Neons a lot, but I am finding over time they can be somewhat boring. I'd like to try something else? I saw some beautiful Candy Cane Tetras at the store and they do look stunning. They aren't really that peaceful though and barely school. They are kind of similar to Bleeding Heart Tetras just a bit of a different shape and markings.

Came across another fish today at Petco called a Pearl Danio. Pretty neat looking. I would like to do some different sizes and color contrasts.

So here's a few ideas I had on how to stock it...
Candy Cane Tetras
Columbian Tetras
Rummy Nose Tetras
Pearl Danios
Bloodfin Tetras
Dwarf Neon Rainbows
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Green Fire Tetras

Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of one of the Candy Canes. Very pretty fish. Very hardy too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Of the fish on your list, I've kept Columbian Tetras and Pearl Danios, and would recommend both, for hardiness, interest factor, and community compatibility.

Personally, I like to have fish swimming in different areas of the tank, and danios tend to stay at the very top, which is a big plus for me! My Columbians actually were in the upper half of the tank, too.

FWIW, both these fish look awesome under a bluer light.

Those candycane tetras do look stunning.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is definitely a good thing! I used to have a small school of Columbians in my old 75 and they were pretty awesome. Sadly they didn't last long and died.

Green Fire Tetras IMO are pretty cool. They are pretty closely related to Bloodfins. They have almost the same body shape just different colors. Sadly LFS around here carry them. I suppose I could order them from LiveAquaria

Pic of the Green Fire Tetra

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have always thought green fire tetras look really neat; a local LFS here often does carry them, so if business brings you down towards Indianapolis.... I am not sure where in the tank they swim though.

I had great luck with my Columbian tetras; they even spawned and I raised the fry (only tetra fry I've raised). I had a school of around 30 for a long time. If you try them again, I wish my luck upon you!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have some trouble finding your tetras at your LFS - especially if your LFS is in a small city - to try using online sources such as aquabid to purchase the tetras.

Either way a school of a large amount of tetras in a 55 gallon aquarium looks simply amazing. Do you have some pictures of the school?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.