The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some advice on stocking a planted tank, 101cm long, 41 depth, 56 high, I want to stock 12-14 preacox rainbows and 10 dwarf chain loaches, maybe 2-3 hillstream loaches. Aquarium will be heavily planted, sand topped substrate, and lowtech, an oversized x10 external filter.. Any thoughts on stocking please, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can I get some advice on stocking a planted tank, 101cm long, 41 depth, 56 high, I want to stock 12-14 preacox rainbows and 10 dwarf chain loaches, maybe 2-3 hillstream loaches. Aquarium will be heavily planted, sand topped substrate, and lowtech, an oversized x10 external filter.. Any thoughts on stocking please, thanks.
General rule is one gallon per inch of fish. Just lookup the fish to see their behavior and comparability plus the area of the water column they tend to stick to. Unless you are trying to breed, just average hardness/softness ph and temp are usually fine for many fish.. again, look up requirements for the specific fish that you are interested in. Beyond that..put whatever fish you like looking at. .. on a side note, if it is a heavily planted tank.. having a few/couple algae eating fish might help out a bit like siamese algae eaters (not Chinese algae eaters) and oto’s

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
There is no inch per gallon rule and I think it's a pretty outdated, so not something to consider in this case. Not all fish are created equal and a lot of care sheets you see online aren't reliable when they delve into that. Example: You could keep 30-35 Boraras brigittae (or more) in a 10gal tank. Or a couple hundred shrimp.

Don't just pick whatever fish you like. Gotta make sure they're compatible in terms of behavior and parameter requirements. While most fish can be kept in parameters that aren't ideal, it's always best to try to keep something that's going to thrive in the water you've got.

Do you know your water parameters? That will be helpful in making recommendations.

What kind of filtration will you have?

Hillstream Loaches require tons of flow and lots of Aufwuchs in order to thrive. So they're not something I'd consider in a setup like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.