The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation I'm in with my tank. I have a platy, 2 SAEs, 6 harlequin rasboras, and 6 celestial pearl danios, and 3 red cherry shrimp, more to come. People have said on this forum that a school should be bigger for fish to be happy, maybe 10. I was planning on pretty much stocking 3 6-8 fish schools of small fish, which I found to be minimum schools in my research. I really want to add rummy nose tetras at some point. Is there any way you see me being able to do this, or have I put myself in a spot in which I can't get the tetras?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
So here's the situation I'm in with my tank. I have a platy, 2 SAEs, 6 harlequin rasboras, and 6 celestial pearl danios, and 3 red cherry shrimp, more to come. People have said on this forum that a school should be bigger for fish to be happy, maybe 10. I was planning on pretty much stocking 3 6-8 fish schools of small fish, and I really want to add rummy nose tetras at some point. Is there any way you see me being able to do this, or have I put myself in a spot in which I can't get the tetras?
both your harlequin rasbora and CPD's could go to twice what you have. What filter do you have? And how heavy are you planted?

I have a 36 gal. and it is pretty darn stocked lol I have
5-Dwarf Neon Rainbows
5-Threadfin Rainbows
4-Choprae danio
6-Espe Rasbora
5- Glowlight Danio
3- White Cloud Mountain Minnows (from a long gone tank now)
1- Dwarf Gourami
2- German Blue ram
2- Amano Shrimp.

All my water params are in check, the tank is very heavily planted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm new to this so I'm not positive what constitutes heavily planted, but I think my tank would qualify as medium heavy. I am running an AquaClear 50 that turns over 200 gallons per hour. By the way, what should I be running in that filter? Is it just for mechanical filtration or is there something else that should go in the filter?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is considered heavy planting? Also, I don't think i could support a densely planted tank without CO2, which I don't plan to use.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I'm new to this so I'm not positive what constitutes heavily planted, but I think my tank would qualify as medium heavy. I am running an AquaClear 50 that turns over 200 gallons per hour. By the way, what should I be running in that filter? Is it just for mechanical filtration or is there something else that should go in the filter?
You can use http://aqadvisor.com/ to get a rough idea of your stocking levels. It is not a sure fire thing, but it can get you close to a good stock level.

in a planted tank you do not need carbon, so a simple filter pad for your biological part of the filter, and a floss pad for cleaning the water a bit and you are good. I have a canister filter, which all three compartments have some sort of bio pad.

What is considered heavy planting? Also, I don't think i could support a densely planted tank without CO2, which I don't plan to use.
lol, I have way too many species of plants in this thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I am medium planted, if that. I want another species or two, plus, there will be growing. So, my original question, are rummy noses out of the question unless I get rid of the harlequins?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts