The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm about to set up my new Mr Aqua 12g long and I'm starting to think about my stocking list. Right now, I have 6 zebra danios that i will be transferring into the 12g. I might get 2-3 more but I also want to pick up a 5/6 corys or possibly 3-4 otos.

Opinions appreciated! Which do you guys think would work better in this tank?

Or do you think I could get away with adding both species? I know they are both bottom dwellers so i figured i can only get away with one. I'm really just looking for advice on numbers!

Thanks in advance
John

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
With pygm or dwarf corys you might be able to squeeze them all in, don't think any of the larger cory species will fit, they typically need 20+ gallons for space and bio-load dilution (accept the dwarf and pygmy cory). Otos and corys eat different things, are you looking for a diatom cleaner or a scavenger to clean up leftover food from the danios?
I'm prepping a 12g long too ^^ going to do dwarf puffers and maybe otos (seems to be one of the few fish they don't peck at) if diatoms pop up. My 7g cube will have pygmy corys and a betta (was going to do honey gourami but sexy betta said "BUY ME!!")

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
My pygmy did not do that great in the 12 long - no mid water shoaling, just sitting on substrate. That changed once I moved them into 12" and taller tanks. Just fyi.

v3

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With pygm or dwarf corys you might be able to squeeze them all in, don't think any of the larger cory species will fit, they typically need 20+ gallons for space and bio-load dilution (accept the dwarf and pygmy cory). Otos and corys eat different things, are you looking for a diatom cleaner or a scavenger to clean up leftover food from the danios?
I'm prepping a 12g long too ^^ going to do dwarf puffers and maybe otos (seems to be one of the few fish they don't peck at) if diatoms pop up. My 7g cube will have pygmy corys and a betta (was going to do honey gourami but sexy betta said "BUY ME!!")
I was looking for a little bit of both. I would definitely get pygmy/dwarf corys but after reading OVT's post i'm not sure about the cory's now. perhaps i'll just stick with the otos. good luck with your tank! I just finished setting everything up on mine yesterday. now just to stock it and finish the planting!

My pygmy did not do that great in the 12 long - no mid water shoaling, just sitting on substrate. That changed once I moved them into 12" and taller tanks. Just fyi.

Thanks OVT, i think i'll be sticking with the otos.

v3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts