85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, I have a 39gal planted. My plan is to end up with
40x Amano shrimp
4-5x Corydoras Sterbai
1 trio Appisto. Borelli
8-9x Otocinclus
2-3x Assassin Snails

Would this be a bit overstocked? Its fully planted and has a Magnum350, Corner Filter, and Dual Sponge filter. I may upgrade the Magnum to a Eheim 2215.
Thanks for any replies :D!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Between the shrimp and otocinclus, you could have two species in competition for same food source. Corys might also find it difficult to find enough food with that many shrimp. If shrimps were adults, they may not be viewed as food by appisto's but may assault them if appistos should spawn. In my humble opinion.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I don't think bioload is an issue so much as compatibility.

You've got an awful lot of algae eaters/scavengers rather than anything for the mid- water column. I'd cut the #s of Amanos at least in half (IMO 10x would be a gracious plenty for a 39gal; I've only got 20 in my 90gal but you still see one everywhere you look...), and also half the Otos, and you'll still need to be sure to supply them with fresh veggies each week to be sure they're getting fed. A 39gal tank won't supply enough aufwuchs to keep them going by itself.

I don't foresee issues between the Apistos and Amanos, Amanos can outgrow them. But I think the C. sterbai wouldn't be the greatest mix with Apistos, as they'll get much larger and probably ignore the Apistos' territories.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, well I'm planning to move some oto's later or supplement them with veggies and wafers. And i don't think algae has been much of problem since i leave my lights on for 10 hours a day. But i think perhaps i will lower the Amano's, Any more thoughts?
Love the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts