1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So far this is what I have come up with:

1 pair of rams (GBR or Goldens)
3 ottos (I have 2 already)
x amount of rummynose tetras(they are my favorite, not sure on a good number, but Im thinking 12 or so?)
1 pair of dwarf plecos (unknown species, need opinions)
3-5 cory cats. (Unknown species, probably emeralds or albinos)
and
maybe 1-2 dwarf gouramis...i unno on that one yet

Id really like to have some yellow, CrystalRS, Cherry, or Snowball shrimp as well. (only 1 species)

Green are things i KNOW i want/will get, purple are things I dont know about compatability, and red im kinda "meh' about. Chances are slim I will go through with those. I might just get 1 BNPleco. Im thinkin of focussing more on corys as I like the lil buggers.

I will have the tank heavily planted before I start introducing more fish. I will prolly add another otto next, cause I realized they prefer a school instead of 1-2 right after I put them in the tank. /facepalm

but lemme know what ya think. more? less? diff things? :biggrin:

edit: OH and I forgot....the guy on Aquabid says these arent tattooed or dyed, but I have never seen one like this before. On his site he has green and red ones so I wanna just make sure cause I think the Orange one listed is VERY pretty!
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishc&1261925406

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I have a very similar setup for a 15g. I have:

1 x Gold ram - a beautiful male; the female unfortunately died a few months ago.
9 x Trigonostigma hengeli
3 x Corydoras habrosus
? x Oto

Oh, and one ancient female Aphyosemion striatum from an earlier tank. I always forget that she's in there, but she seems to enjoy her retirement. ;)

I am planning to upgrade to a total of 6-7 C. habrosus because 3 are not enough. I had bought 6, but two passed away briefly after introduction and one turned out to be an oto.

This is a lot of fish, but it works because a) all the fish are tiny, calm, and consume very little food (except the ram), and b) the plant is heavily planted - and I mean heavily as in overgrown tropical stream, not as in a well-trimmed English garden (actually I trim quite a lot to achieve this effect).

I would suggest the following modifications for your list:

• Go for either the rams or the gouramies. Both would be too much, and you only need one species of centerpiece fish anyway.
  • Choose a smaller species of Corydoras. The laser ones are beautiful (they are unpainted as far as I know), but like many species, they actually get quite big. Cories can live a long time and reach 4-5 inches. I love the habrosus because they behave like "real" cories but stay tiny (less than an inch). They can be hard to come by, but there are several dwarf cory species out there.

As for the shrimp: A reasonable number (say 20) will not contribute to the total bioload of your tank in any significant way, so feel free to put them in there. The only caveat is that a full grown GBR can take down an adult shrimp. Usually they don't know that they are capable of doing it and leave the shrimp alone. But once they learn to hunt shrimp they will become skillful little predators. I gave mine the occasional freshly deceased cherry shrimp and wouldn't trust him with any live ones.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I might were it me, keep in mind that the german blue rams do poorly in water temps below 82 degrees in the longterm and that most of the corydoras would be quite uncomfortable in temps much above 78 degrees with the exception of Sterbai and possibly peppered corys.
Have kept the german blue rams and gold variety with Discus who share the temp requirements along with cardinal tetras.
Otocinclus do well in established ,planted tanks but do need considerable alage to do well in the longterm. many of thse fish are still wild caught and don't always take to alage wafers and or vegetable matter that they do not see in the wild. Should you decide to go with the Oto's look for those that have been in the dealers tank for a week or more(better) . Many of them arrive starving and die within a short time due to the stress of shipping and acclimation to shipping water,dealers water,and then our own.A healthy Otocinclus should resemble the end of a Q-tip when viewing the belley. they like oxygen rich water with some movement and they too appreciate cooler temps than the german rams.I would also not purchase rams that had just arrived for many of the same reasons . Hope some of this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts