The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I was looking for stocking ideas for my UNS 75p that is currently cycling. I'm running a Fluval 407 on the tank and it will be a heavily planted tank, I'm thinking Dutch Style, likely with no hardscape.

Right now, for stocking, I'm thinking
-pearl gourami
-celestial pearl danios
-some type of cory catfish (recommendations appreciated)
-maybe some kind of pleco (recommendations appreciated)
-amano shrimp & neocaridina shrimp as a cleanup crew

That's about as far as I've come with ideas. I'm looking to get some unique fish to put in there. I've been fairly limited in fish since I started out with a 10 gallon but now that I've got more space in this 36g, I'd like to get some larger, more interesting ones.

Will a Peters Elephant Nose Fish (Gnathonemus petersii) be too big for this tank? It says it grows to 9" and minimum needed is 50 gallons so...that might be ruled out. Anyone have any other suggestions for a unique looking fish that won't grow too big? Thank you in advance!

PS: I'm using ADA Amazonia Version 2 as my substrate in case it's incompatible. I was reading that elephant fish need a super fine substrate so they don't damage their "nose."

I might also be considering apistogramma or dwarf rams. I was advised that pearl gouramis may try to eat my shrimp, so I'm open to replacements for them

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I might also be considering apistogramma or dwarf rams. I was advised that pearl gouramis may try to eat my shrimp, so I'm open to replacements for them
Just about all fish will pick off shrimp if they have the opportunity. Some are less likely- cpd and white clouds come to mind, but any micro predator including apisto, ram, most tetra, betta, gourami- you name it, has the potential to take out shrimplets/ smaller shrimp. You can definitely find a balance with very peaceful nano schoolers and shrimp where deaths are minimal but I'd advise against getting something like gourami, apisto or rams if your primary focus is keeping a colony of shrimp.

*Edit- just read through the entire first post. I'd take the elephant fish off the list as I honestly do not believe it's compatible with what you're thinking of and is too big for your set up.

I have no experience with shrimp keeping but researched as I was interested in doing a set up, through my research I decided against keeping cory with shrimp as it seemed too risky. I'm sure there's others here that do it and could possibly advise there.

Are you more interested in keeping shrimp or fish?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just about all fish will pick off shrimp if they have the opportunity. Some are less likely- cpd and white clouds come to mind, but any micro predator including apisto, ram, most tetra, betta, gourami- you name it, has the potential to take out shrimplets/ smaller shrimp. You can definitely find a balance with very peaceful nano schoolers and shrimp where deaths are minimal but I'd advise against getting something like gourami, apisto or rams if your primary focus is keeping a colony of shrimp.

*Edit- just read through the entire first post. I'd take the elephant fish off the list as I honestly do not believe it's compatible with what you're thinking of and is too big for your set up.

I have no experience with shrimp keeping but researched as I was interested in doing a set up, through my research I decided against keeping cory with shrimp as it seemed too risky. I'm sure there's others here that do it and could possibly advise there.

Are you more interested in keeping shrimp or fish?
Yeah, elephant fish is definitely off the list haha.

I'm hoping that with all the plants I'll have, it'll be good cover for the shrimp once it all grows in. I'd like to have a shrimp colony going with 20+ shrimp. I wanted shrimp to kind of be like a clean up crew for me.

I'm more interested in keeping fish + plants but I would like to have some shrimp in the tank as well or some sort of cleanup crew. No nerite snails though because they laid eggs all over my 10 gallon tank lol

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah, elephant fish is definitely off the list haha.

I'm hoping that with all the plants I'll have, it'll be good cover for the shrimp once it all grows in. I'd like to have a shrimp colony going with 20+ shrimp. I wanted shrimp to kind of be like a clean up crew for me.

I'm more interested in keeping fish + plants but I would like to have some shrimp in the tank as well or some sort of cleanup crew. No nerite snails though because they laid eggs all over my 10 gallon tank lol
Maybe consider sticking with the amano for shrimp, they won't colonize, though (require brackish/ saltwater much like nerites) but they are a bit larger so they stand a better chance against fish, do a wonderful job of cleaning and aren't quite a devastating a loss as half a colony of neocaridinas.

You could definitely try but I would steer clear of adding a feature style fish until you've at least set up your colony and can afford to lose a few shrimplets here and there. I'd let the shrimp settle in first, then look into nano schoolers and take it from there. That's just a personal opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe consider sticking with the amano for shrimp, they won't colonize, though (require brackish/ saltwater much like nerites) but they are a bit larger so they stand a better chance against fish, do a wonderful job of cleaning and aren't quite a devastating a loss as half a colony of neocaridinas.

You could definitely try but I would steer clear of adding a feature style fish until you've at least set up your colony and can afford to lose a few shrimplets here and there. I'd let the shrimp settle in first, then look into nano schoolers and take it from there. That's just a personal opinion.
Hmmm that sounds like some sound advice. I'm thinking of introducing maybe like 5-10 amano shrimp and then some sort of neocaridina shirmp. I'll let them reproduce some to get a little colony going and then I can introduce a school of 10-15 or so celestial pearl danios.

Might hold off on a centerpiece fish like you said

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hmmm that sounds like some sound advice. I'm thinking of introducing maybe like 5-10 amano shrimp and then some sort of neocaridina shirmp. I'll let them reproduce some to get a little colony going and then I can introduce a school of 10-15 or so celestial pearl danios.

Might hold off on a centerpiece fish like you said
Good luck!! Would be interested in seeing how you progress- maybe someday I'll have the guts and time to jump into shrimp keeping!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have ~30 amanos in a 68G with a pearl gourami and dwarf rainbows (~2-2.5") and there has never been any issues with aggression/predation toward the shrimp. It's also awesome that they don't make more of themselves! I have found them to be big eaters of early tank algae like diatoms but they are really great at cleaning up food that makes it down to the substrate.

I don't think I would have a pearl gourami in a tank that size, personally.

I think a bunch of Pseudomugil Rainbows and some amanos would make a great combo in a tank that size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have ~30 amanos in a 68G with a pearl gourami and dwarf rainbows (~2-2.5") and there has never been any issues with aggression/predation toward the shrimp. It's also awesome that they don't make more of themselves! I have found them to be big eaters of early tank algae like diatoms but they are really great at cleaning up food that makes it down to the substrate.

I don't think I would have a pearl gourami in a tank that size, personally.

I think a bunch of Pseudomugil Rainbows and some amanos would make a great combo in a tank that size.
Maybe I'll need to scrap the idea of neocaridina shrimp and just get amano shrimp if amano shrimp are better at cleaning things up. I've never been able to get my neo shrimp to reproduce for me, so I've never dealt with an overpopulated shrimp tank. But if it could turn into my bladder snail infestation I had before...then maybe I don't want shrimp breeding in my tank.

Do pearl gourami grow too big for a 36 gallon? I thought they were a good size for the tank. I think I'm against getting a pearl gourami now, but just wanted to know your thoughts on why you wouldn't want one for a tank this size?

I've never heard of pseudomugil rainbows before. They look neat. Can they be kept with CPD or are they more of a 1 species only sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It's personal preference really, but having a pearl gourami in a 3'x2' tank makes me fell like anything much smaller would be a little cramped for a fish that size.

My wife has kept those rainbows, and they are pretty cool. They have a lot of great rainbow behavior in decent size groups but don't get very big so you can have quite a few in a tank that size. But, $$$... not sure how they'd get on with the danios.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's personal preference really, but having a pearl gourami in a 3'x2' tank makes me fell like anything much smaller would be a little cramped for a fish that size.

My wife has kept those rainbows, and they are pretty cool. They have a lot of great rainbow behavior in decent size groups but don't get very big so you can have quite a few in a tank that size. But, $$$... not sure how they'd get on with the danios.
They've piqued my interest and look like pretty fish. I'll have to see if they're compatible with CPD and how many of everything I can keep in my fish tank without overcrowding it!

Ok, this is what my new stocking list is for my aquarium after incorporating the advice given. Aqadvisor says that they're all compatible with one another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.