The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just setup and hot started a 3 gallon rimless which I had initially bought for quarantine purposes. The tank will have high light but no C02 injection so it seems foreordained to have algae issues. Of course, I will be adding some fertilizer (Thrive S) and maybe some CO2 tablets once in a while, at least to help with plant growth in the initial stages.

While finishing up the cycle, I'm looking for some stocking advice.

I added the images below for reference:

Water Plant Pet supply Organism Grass
Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

I have a couple of Malaysian Trumpets to accelerate the cycle but I'm not a huge fan of snails so I probably won't keep them in there long term.

I'm thinking of adding in some blue velvets and maybe a Betta, not sure. (Note: I'm fully aware that 3 gallons is pushing it for a Beta, just looking for some ideas or alternatives.

Thanks,
Shao

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some ideas are either a pea puffer, chili rasboras, or shrimp.
I bought 8 chili rasboras for my main tank and they all died within two days. My water conditions at the time were absolutely perfect. As they were dying off, I went to buy the quarantine tank to put the remaining three as I could not find all the bodies once dead. I still have to do water changes daily on my bigger tank and have increased CO2 to reduce the damage done by the ammonia spike. Now both tanks are going through treatment and I'll be honest in saying I have been strongly put off by chili rasboras (ie. never again).

Would a dwarf puffer be fine with how the tank is scaped or would it need more cover?

Thanks,

Shao

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like these are some of your first posts on this site. In response to these posts, here are some of my thoughts-

I’d second the chili rasboras for a tank that small or the pea puffer…a small number of micro fish. However, If all 8 chilis you had died so quickly and they were healthy when you purchased them then your water conditions couldn’t have been absolutely perfect as you mentioned in your other tank. I’m not even sure what “absolutely perfect“ water conditions mean.

I’m also confused by your last post- why did you increase co2 to reduce an ammonia spike? How do you figure that would help with the ammonia in the tank. What were your co2 levels in the tank to begin with, and how were you adding it to the water. Also- how does having a couple MTS help accelerate the cycle in your tank? The more I read, the more questions pop up. A lot of things lead to losing fish but when I start losing fish, I look more closely at the environment I am creating for them. A lot of fish in this hobby are wild caught and have quite the journey from their native waters to your aquarium. Because chilis are so small I feel like they need a gentle acclimation. I don’t think it’s unheard of to lose a few, however, to lose all of them is a red flag for sure. I‘d look more closely at your own setup before thinking it was a bad batch…I guess you will find out when you add more fish And see what happens to them. Also looking at the tank in your picture, and seeing that you want to do high light without co2 etc I think you are setting yourself up for many issues down the road. Dropping in a co2 tablet here and there as you mention won’t do anything. You need to establish a consistent environment for your plants to grow. Giving them a co2 tablet isn’t going to do anything.

I’m always a little surprised in this hobby when aquarists want to grow healthy plants but then they do things that limit their plants production. Yes, you can grow plants without using co2 for sure. However, when you pump up the lighting you are pumping up the drive for your plants to be fed with nutrients and co2. It’s an essential part of photosynthesis. So why add ”high” light…why add thrive S, but. Not add co2? You don’t need to crank the co2 but do understand it’s purpose. The goal is healthy plants, for me at least, as well as healthy fish. Good luck and welcome to the site.
In terms of water conditions,

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
PH 6.4 to 6.8 depending on time of day
=> even with fertilizers the nitrate were 0 next day (note: i did the API test myself, and asked the LFS to verify the findings because I found my nitrates weird. Same result)

By increasing CO2, I'm lowering the PH, decreasing the toxicity of the ammonia. Now it's definitely not a solution, but the only remedy I have available while it sorts itself out (with water changes). I'm not reducing the ammonia, just reducing it's impact :/

To be transparent, I think I messed up the acclimation and did it too fast. I did partial additions, instead of a drip feed and probably did not give them enough time to deal with the temperature increase. I'm sure that did not help at all. The other fish in the tank, otocinclus and pandas were and are doing fine but within one night all the Rasboras were riddled with ich. So yes, they were probably not a bad batch and the stress may have been too much, and I should have spent more time on acclimation but... it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

On the high light part, I only had this light available and a CO2 system is currently out of budget. Maybe in the future but not this month. Thrive was already purchased for my main tank and the light comes from me wanting to reduce lighting levels in the main one to see how it affects my tank in terms of algae (green spot and some hair).

As for C02 levels, I'm not sure what it is at in terms of ppm. I go by looking at the fish and seeing how they're doing. The easiest way for me to tell is by looking at the state of my otos and how they behave.

Anyways, I could feel your frustration when replying to my comment, and I'll be honest, the frustration is also felt here. To be clear, I was not blaming the fish in their passing away, just stating the fact that I'm dreading trying it again. I would also love to have a second CO2 regulator, diffuser and additional canisters, just not the case today.

I rescaped the tank to make it more consistent with what I wanted.

Noted on the micro fish or the pea puffer, if I keep something like a chili rasbora, would it be fine if I get just 3 or 4 with some shrimp?

Thanks for the welcome, been reading this forum for ages but never ended up joining.

Note: if you have any advice, I'll happily take it, whether it be on stocking or on temporarily mitigating the impact of high light.

- Shao

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
After scanning this post pretty well. I've a few thoughts.

First. Chilis man, they're great. I got three for a 2.5 gallon tank that is going to house shrimp. I set it up with plants that had been in other tanks, so there was the beginnings of my cyclings. I tossed in some snails as well.

MTS are really hard to get rid of. If you dont want them you should probably never had put them in.

I agree with someone above. Why not add co2? Especially if you're doing high light, soil, and dosing ferts. Not having co2 with all that is silly. It's like having a 4x4 truck then putting 29" road tires. It could go all kinds of places but it won't cause the lack of 4x4 tires.

If no co2, then reduce the light. Like you said, it's only going to cause algae. Liquid co2 from what I've read causes more issues in the long run for two reasons. 1, it doesnt do the same things that pressurized co2 does for plants. 2, it's not pure co2 so you are adding other things into the tank as well.

A single puffer will be fine. But I think a handful of chilis would be more fun. You can do shrimp with them as well. Puffer will pick off shrimplets. Depending on the fish it may go for adults too though. Same with a betta, it will depend on the individual fish.

A few chili and a sparkling may be possible.

Last thing. I noticed you said you were finishing cycling and then you added 8 chilis. First off, that's a large bio load for a 3 gallon, uncycled tank.

Personally, I wouldn't have added MTS. I add them to a lot of my tanks that have sand however. They explode in population, why I wouldn't put them in a tank if you dont intend to keep them in that tank.

I usually start up a tank, a few days in (if I had added stuff from a mature tank) I toss in a snail or half a dozen depending on type. Then shrimp once fully cycled. Then fish. Smallest fish first. Then largest/most predatory last.

Very last thing. I also suggest chilis in such a small tank. Mostly cause finding other fish as small is really hard. The only other fish I would suggest that hasnt been is a scarlet badis. They can be hard to find though. And I would still toss in like 3 or 4 chilis.
Edit:
I see that nothing went through on my first reply.

I guess I have a couple of follow up questions then:

• If I add in a CO2 for the smaller tank, will it diffuse correctly? I'm running a sponge filter so not much pull there and the height is truly limited.
  • I'll remove the MTS in the next couple of days, I'm not going to lie, they've been the most entertaining thing in that tank since nothing changes there. Would a zebra work fine with so little surface ?
  • Are Chili's fine with low flow? There is a lot of surface agitation, just not much water movement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noted O
chilis should be okay.

yes, co2 will still diffuse. you'll still want to find the best position for with with your tank. There are some nicer diffusers, that should make very fine bubbles and low flow. If you're all set up with light I would just use that as your strong/control point.

From my experience a Zebra won't do a whole lot. A couple snails might be good, but if your truly cycled, I might let the the tank marinate just a little longer and then go for shrimp.

You can add the Zebra with the shrimp, or before. Also, a Zebra leaves white eggs all over the place. and they're not easy to get off. just so you know.

View attachment 1034994

Sorry, these are the style I have had the best luck with.
Thank you sir :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Noted on the , they do leave a consequential trail of eggs, but I don’t really mind it. It’s kind of a way for me to verify how my tank is doing :)

so I bought a co2 set (dennerle nano co2 set) and now all that is left to do for me is wait. Having a tough time figuring out what kind of injection I should be looking for. The tank is empty with a sponge filter so I’m not too worried about killing anything but the low height and low flow make it difficult for the co2 to diffuse.

Water Plant Green Pet supply Aquatic plant

Water Plant Green Pet supply Fish supply

Note: tank needs to be cleaned,

thank you all for taking the time.

- shao

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed on the challenge it is. I’ll start with some shrimp and then figure out the next steps.
Maybe some chili rasboras, emerald rasboras, or CPDs? At this point, just letting the tank cycle and do it’s thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts