The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
428 Posts
After scanning this post pretty well. I've a few thoughts.

First. Chilis man, they're great. I got three for a 2.5 gallon tank that is going to house shrimp. I set it up with plants that had been in other tanks, so there was the beginnings of my cyclings. I tossed in some snails as well.

MTS are really hard to get rid of. If you dont want them you should probably never had put them in.

I agree with someone above. Why not add co2? Especially if you're doing high light, soil, and dosing ferts. Not having co2 with all that is silly. It's like having a 4x4 truck then putting 29" road tires. It could go all kinds of places but it won't cause the lack of 4x4 tires.

If no co2, then reduce the light. Like you said, it's only going to cause algae. Liquid co2 from what I've read causes more issues in the long run for two reasons. 1, it doesnt do the same things that pressurized co2 does for plants. 2, it's not pure co2 so you are adding other things into the tank as well.

A single puffer will be fine. But I think a handful of chilis would be more fun. You can do shrimp with them as well. Puffer will pick off shrimplets. Depending on the fish it may go for adults too though. Same with a betta, it will depend on the individual fish.

A few chili and a sparkling may be possible.

Last thing. I noticed you said you were finishing cycling and then you added 8 chilis. First off, that's a large bio load for a 3 gallon, uncycled tank.

Personally, I wouldn't have added MTS. I add them to a lot of my tanks that have sand however. They explode in population, why I wouldn't put them in a tank if you dont intend to keep them in that tank.

I usually start up a tank, a few days in (if I had added stuff from a mature tank) I toss in a snail or half a dozen depending on type. Then shrimp once fully cycled. Then fish. Smallest fish first. Then largest/most predatory last.

Very last thing. I also suggest chilis in such a small tank. Mostly cause finding other fish as small is really hard. The only other fish I would suggest that hasnt been is a scarlet badis. They can be hard to find though. And I would still toss in like 3 or 4 chilis.

·
Registered
428 Posts
chilis should be okay.

yes, co2 will still diffuse. you'll still want to find the best position for with with your tank. There are some nicer diffusers, that should make very fine bubbles and low flow. If you're all set up with light I would just use that as your strong/control point.

From my experience a Zebra won't do a whole lot. A couple snails might be good, but if your truly cycled, I might let the the tank marinate just a little longer and then go for shrimp.

You can add the Zebra with the shrimp, or before. Also, a Zebra leaves white eggs all over the place. and they're not easy to get off. just so you know.

Liquid Fluid Eyelash Drinkware Cylinder

Sorry, these are the style I have had the best luck with.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This evening I was talking to a buddy who knows more about nerite snails than I do. Only a female Zebra will lay those eggs. The only way to find out though is to test it by just watching them once mature. so if you get one one from your LFS you're looking at 50/50 with those eggs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts