The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, after a year of using my 12 gallon tank to get used to freshwater fish keeping, i finally convinced my parents to let me buy a standard 29 gallon tank.

I have a stocking list in my head and want to your input on what could/needs to be changed...

one pair of angelfish
6-10 black neon tetras, if available
3 peppered cories
2 otocinclus

im completely willing to change this set up, so don't hesitate to give me some constructive critism.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I think you should up your school of Peppered Cories to 6. I'd also increase your otocinclus to 5. Otos are better suited to established tanks so I'd wait on them before putting them in. I would also try to get a couple center piece fish such as Rams, Apistos or Killifish

EDIT: OH SHOOt. I didn't see the Angelfish on there. I'd steeerwary from the Black Neons Tetras even though they tend to get bigger. A pair of them would dominate the whole tank and cause more problems. I'd keep just one.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
you may wanna watch the angels with the black neons, they are still a cichlid and will consume small fish. Also if they pair they will instantly become aggressive towards the rest of the tank mates. perhaps a larger tetra if you have your heart set on the angels. Serpae Tetra, Columbian Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra.

The other option is to stay away from the angels completely and get a large school of tetras and a pair of some sort of smaller cichlid, rams, or apistos would work well...

Also, 2 oto cats are probably not gonna be enough algae control for you, you may want to upstock the amount of them, I would go for at least 10.

hope this helps!

F

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you may wanna watch the angels with the black neons, they are still a cichlid and will consume small fish. Also if they pair they will instantly become aggressive towards the rest of the tank mates. perhaps a larger tetra if you have your heart set on the angels. Serpae Tetra, Columbian Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra.

The other option is to stay away from the angels completely and get a large school of tetras and a pair of some sort of smaller cichlid, rams, or apistos would work well...

Also, 2 oto cats are probably not gonna be enough algae control for you, you may want to upstock the amount of them, I would go for at least 10.

hope this helps!

F
Thanks a lot for the info. I've been wanting angelfish for quite some time so thats what i would like as the "centerpiece". How about this...

2 Angelfish
6-10 red eye or lemon tetras
3 peppered cories
5 oto's. I'm not getting them just for algae control, they are some of my favorite fish and I understand that they need to be in groups so I'm going to assume 10 is a no-no.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice call with the apistos have you seen veijeta?
I actually just got off the phone with a guy that works at an Aquarium Adventure near my house and he said that they usually get shipments of those. im looking them up now as we speak..........omg, they have beautiful colors throughout their body. If they have those in stock when I happen to stop by, those are my choice for sure.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I agree that dwarf cichlids would be a better choice than Angels for a 29gal. There's just not much space, and adult angels are very large fish.

Research your Apisto species before buying them. Some species would tolerate more conspecifics than others in a 29gal tank. www.Apistogramma.com is a good resource.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright so now that I have changed my mind about the angels, here is the new stocking list:

2-4 Apistogramma Viegita/Triple Red or Orange Flash...what ever is available
10-15 Black Neon Tetra's
3 Peppered Cories
5 Otocinclus

if anyone have any critism on the stocking list, let me know.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree that dwarf cichlids would be a better choice than Angels for a 29gal. There's just not much space, and adult angels are very large fish.

Research your Apisto species before buying them. Some species would tolerate more conspecifics than others in a 29gal tank. www.Apistogramma.com is a good resource.
Thanks for the website, I'm still deciding what species I'm going to buy. It all depends on what is available when I go, unless they just wouldn't be suitable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have a 29 gallon and sometimes wish i had a 37 gallon. it has the same footprint, just taller. maybe you could trick them into getting a 37 gallon? ;)

i have never dealt with apistos so i can't say much on those. everything else sounds good to me.

haha, if only my parents were that great. i already have the 29, i'm just waiting for the stand. i've only had a 12 gallon before this so i want to get used to bigger tanks before i really go out of my way to go any bigger than this. plus i don't even have the room.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like your updated stock list. Angels are nice, but they like a tank with more height and most do grow fairly large and aggressive. Apistos are great little fish. They can get aggressive too when breeding, so research ahead of time if you need a pair or harem (some apistos form pairs and others are better in a harem). I've kept several types of apistos and all were very sensitive in terms of water condition, so it should be kept in pristine shape with regular water changes. That really goes for most fish, but some are more tolerant than others, and I found apistos to be quite tempermental. I've never kept cories with my apistos, so not sure if the apistos would be overly aggressive with them since the apistos stick close to the substrate as well. Sounds like a nice set-up though. Are you going to go with a planted tank?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.