The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've had a basement tank for awhile which I've attempted to breed inverts in, to limited success. I have had several generations of apple snails in it, but the shrimp I chose to stock (yellow) doesn't seem to want to breed. Actually, I've never even seen them saddled, which suggests to me they either are all males somehow, or are not the correct species.

Regardless, once our two-month old is a little bigger, and we finish up our attic remodeling, I'll be shuffling through all of my tanks, attempting to build the best invert tank. It will *not* be a show tank. The purpose is to have the most conducive environment for the widest range of snails, shrimp, and other creatures.

Breeding Stock will include:

Neocaridina of some sort
Caridina of some sort
Dwarf Crays - have done Cajuns before - open to suggestions
Appple snails

I also have eight Sulawesi snails, four jokers, and four larger, black snails. I hear they breed in captivity. And of course, I have an endless number of MTS and assorted other hitchhiker snails.

I may get amano, nerites, ottos, and fan shrinp for the tank just for the hell of it, since they won't hurt the other stock and make it look nicer, although they won't breed of course.

To polish it off, there are my maybe ideas, like spixi snails, Macrobrachium kulsiense, thai micro crabs, or Aegla if I find them.

The tank will have no CO2. I will probably decide to use some mineralized mud in the new substrate however, which along with comparably low lighting, I am hoping will make for slow, manageable growth of plants. I will probably retain usage of sponge filters, unsightly as they are, as they are the most shrimp-safe filtration method.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Do you see anything my plan is missing?
2. Are there, besides ottos, any fish species which you think would complement this setup? Something which doesn't eat shrimplets and has a chance of reproducing in the tank would be especially appreciated.
3. Did I miss out on any obvious invert choices?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Telephasic,

Sounds like a fun project - after you get a few (substantial) projects like the attic remodel done!

What size tank are you going with? The only suggestion I could make is to try somethng pretty easy to start with. I have never had yellow shrimp so I can't comment but I would start with some RCS or low grade CRS and make sure they are breeding for you before moving on to other shrimp species or even before you add any other fish (except for Oto's)

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Slow down, slow down!

What are your water parameters? Maybe they have sth to do with the fact that your yellows are not breeding. How many yellows do you have to start with? How old are they? They will all be male until they are sexually mature at about 5 months of age!

Further, if you mix too many shrimp species, pheromones from females of species A might "confuse" the males from species B and they might not be able to find the females from B.

Macrobrachium species can hunt down other shrimp species and snails as they are scavengers.

As far as I know many of the Sulawesi snails will only breed in brackish water.

How big is your tank anyways?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tank is a 40 high (not the best dimensions, but I got it for free). Honestly, I have not done a test of water parameters for quite awhile - like many people, I did such tests commonly when I first became a hobbyist, but admittedly I just do water changes these days and don't fret unless something dies. I'll take a look at my PH and nitrates though.

As for the yellows, They are (or should be) the same species (just a different captive-bred strain) as cherries, which I had a lot of success with in the past. I don't want cherries in this tank though, as that would mean I couldn't keep a rarer variant like the yellow, blue pearl, or snowball shrimp.

I don't remember when I got these yellow shrimp, but I'm pretty sure they've been banging around longer than five months now. I bought twelve, and I haven't noticed the number drop precipitiously. Also, some of them are quite large - larger than the biggest cherries I have raised, which leads me to think they might be some Caridina species which needs brackish water to breed.

I have to admit though, I've tried breeding Caridina before (crystal reds and tiger), and never had much luck with them. They seemed to do fine, but I never saw more than a few shrimplets, and the population waned quickly in my community tanks.

The only Macro I'd put in my tank is the "sand shrimp," which is not predatory and breeds fairly well in captivity.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, if you had success with them in the past, then your water parameters might have changed now. It might come out of the tap differently or your soil (if you have any fancy soil) could be depleted.
If your water is unsuitable and they don't feel comfortable (that could be due to pH, kH, or Nitrates for example) they will not breed. The "big ones" could be females as they are bigger than grown males. You can google "aquarium shrimp sexing" and see some tables/pictures that might give you a good idea if you have males and females.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts