The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first planted tank. I just scaped it yesterday. what do you guys think?

Anyway, lets get to the real purpose of this thread,... what should i stock it with??? I was thinking maybe some galaxy rasboras. I've always loved plain old neon tetras, but i'm afraid they won't look too good against the blue background. how about harlequin rasboras? too big for the 5 gallon?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Shrimp, and a couple ottos. 5gls is the empty volume. Throw in the substrate and hardscape and you're down considerably, also, certain fish, Celestial Pearl danios, do alot better in a bigger tank (10gl). I had them in a 5gl at one point, when I first got my hands on them, they just hid the whole time. Moved them into a tenner and they were out and about. Harlequins are schooling fish, and need minimum six (and thats not even a school, ha) and that is by no way going to fit. Same goes for the Neons.

When a tank is of that size, parameters fluctuate considerably more than a bigger tank. If I were you and were wanting an enjoyable nano experience, I would stick to shrimp- very curious, very entertaining and fun to watch...and they help fight the algae.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I second the shrimp. Or a betta if you're set on fish. At 5 gallons whatever you stock with wont have much room to swim around in so I definitely would not go with tetras or rasboras.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
If you get a betta you either need to put a lid on it or lower the water level, cause it'll jump out of there for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts