The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i think my tank finally finished cycling. Im going to test it again one more time and if ammonia/nitrite is 0/0 then im good!

So i have a few questions.

1. When do I add the fish? I'm worried about waiting too long and starving the bacteria. How long can i leave ammonia at zero before all the bacteria start dying off?

2. I wanted to get rasboras/shrimp/cory cats. I have a lot of driftwood and i'm worried there isn't enough "bottom room" for them to live happily in a group. Picture is attached at the bottom.

If we decide there isn't enough room for the cory cats then I might get more shrimp and/or a dwarf pleco or something. I'd need to do some research.

Please excuse the "mess" in my tank. I'm still working on it lol.
i've attached front and side pictures. I can provide more if needed.

29 gallon. 30"x18"x12"

Let me know what you guys think. Comments/questions/concerns are always appreciated!

Thanks. I'm really excited to finally get things rolling!

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would go for a school of pygmy cories and then a school of microrasboras such as chillies. You could also get a fairly large school of celestial pearl danios, embers, etc. You could probably do 15 of each or less cories and more rasboras. Both should be okay with shrimp but with dwarf shrimp the babies are small enough really for any fish to prey on them so theres that. You could add half of one of the schools now. Wait a while check params frequently to make sre the tank can handle the bioload then gradualy add the rest.

pygmys would be good to since they use the whole tank and dont stay on the bottom the whole time.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
When the cycle is complete keep feeding ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.
When you are ready to buy fish, do as large a water change as needed to get the NO3 way down. You can do this several days before getting the fish, and not feed the bacteria any more ammonia. A week would be pushing it.

If you go with the dwarf fish suggested above you could easily get 15+, and the shrimp. Dwarf Rasboras and Dwarf Cories are very easy on the bio filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go for a school of pygmy cories and then a school of microrasboras such as chillies. You could also get a fairly large school of celestial pearl danios, embers, etc. You could probably do 15 of each or less cories and more rasboras. Both should be okay with shrimp but with dwarf shrimp the babies are small enough really for any fish to prey on them so theres that. You could add half of one of the schools now. Wait a while check params frequently to make sre the tank can handle the bioload then gradualy add the rest.
I've known about pygmy cories but i didn't know about micro rasboras. Do the danios swim in the top layer? I'm worried about taking away too much swim room as the plants grow in so I thought maybe to look into the rasboras because they are top level swimmers?

Diana,

Thank you! That was the answer I was looking for.

Everyone,

I'm going to stop by my two LFS tomorrow and see what my options are.

My water is a little more basic than I wanted ~7.4. I assume these fish would all adjust over time.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I stopped by my two local fish stores today and was sad to see no raspboras. They don't usually carry them. I went home and did some reading. I think im going to get some zebra danios and some cherry barbs (they have both of these). Maybe 5-7 each? Then I'll wait about 2 weeks and add some shrimp to get a nice colony going. Then i'll add some dwarf cories. I did some reading and there a lot of species of pleco that would stay small enough to be in my tank. Do you guys have an objections?

I wanted to also get a large school of tiger barbs instead of the danio/cherry barbs but I've ready people saying they pick on cory cats and shrimp.

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. I stopped by my two local fish stores today and was sad to see no raspboras. They don't usually carry them. I went home and did some reading. I think im going to get some zebra danios and some cherry barbs (they have both of these). Maybe 5-7 each? Then I'll wait about 2 weeks and add some shrimp to get a nice colony going. Then i'll add some dwarf cories. I did some reading and there a lot of species of pleco that would stay small enough to be in my tank. Do you guys have an objections?

I wanted to also get a large school of tiger barbs instead of the danio/cherry barbs but I've ready people saying they pick on cory cats and shrimp.

Thanks!
Tiger barbs can be aggressive. They will definitely eat the shrimp

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Otocinclus is a pleco relative that is good for a small tank. You can get more than one, they are social. They do not eat shrimp.

Danios and Cherry Barbs might eat shrimp.

I would add the shrimp first to give them a chance to learn the hiding places before the fish are added.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts