The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm scaping a new aquarium(60x35x35 cm->75 liters) using this one as inspiration:

Plant Rectangle Grass Terrestrial plant Art

I'm having some trouble deciding on how to stock it.

About the algae eater the decision is clear: I'll put 10 Clithon corona, 6 Otocinclus affinis and 10 Amano shrimp.

For some small shrimps I think I'll go with around 20 Neocaridinas blue velvet.

The problem I have is with the fish. My options are this:

-20 Microrasboras Galaxy.
-10 Ember Tetra and 10 Microdevario Kubotai.
-20 Rasboras Mosquitos.
-15 Cardinal Tetra.

But I have some questions about each option:

-I heard that the Rasboras Mosquitos are pretty skittish, I don't want to add them only to have them hiding all day. Any experience with having them in a aquascape by themselves?

-Microrasboras galaxy->The natural PH of my tap water is around 7.2, ideal for those fish, but I'm using Amazonia soil and CO2, which will drop the PH. Are Microrasboras Galaxy really apt for aquascaping?

-Tetra embers and Microdevario Kubotai-> I have seen this combination in Iwagumis, but I'm not sure if they will look good too in this kind of aquascape.

-Cardinal Tetra. Not sure if they grow too big for a 75 liters aquascape.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You should go with whatever fish you like the most. These fish will live for years if well taken care of so if its not a fish you are excited to own you will get tired of them before long which will make maintenance on the tank less of a pleasure and more of a chore. I find that the tanks I am excited about are my cleanest best growing tanks because I spend more time looking at them.

Also I would think long and hard about putting 10 nerites in a tank. Some people are really afraid of snails breeding in their tank so they opt for nerites. BUT it sounds like you are trying for an aesthetically pleasing setup as a major priority. Nerites will not successfully reproduce in freshwater, but they will lay eggs. Their eggs are incredibly difficult to remove from hardscape and very very very visible to the casual observer. I will never put them in a tank again as to my mind they essentially destroy any aquascape they are put in over the long term through laying unsightly eggs. There are many other snail species out there, so you might want to consider one of those instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should go with whatever fish you like the most. These fish will live for years if well taken care of so if its not a fish you are excited to own you will get tired of them before long which will make maintenance on the tank less of a pleasure and more of a chore. I find that the tanks I am excited about are my cleanest best growing tanks because I spend more time looking at them.

Also I would think long and hard about putting 10 nerites in a tank. Some people are really afraid of snails breeding in their tank so they opt for nerites. BUT it sounds like you are trying for an aesthetically pleasing setup as a major priority. Nerites will not successfully reproduce in freshwater, but they will lay eggs. Their eggs are incredibly difficult to remove from hardscape and very very very visible to the casual observer. I will never put them in a tank again as to my mind they essentially destroy any aquascape they are put in over the long term through laying unsightly eggs. There are many other snail species out there, so you might want to consider one of those instead.
Thanks for answering. I like all of those species, that's why I was asking about the possible complications of those species for an aquascape, to help me decide. I would not want for example to put some Boraras Briggitae only to find them hiding all day because there is too much light over the tank. Or for the Microrasboras Galaxy to fall sick because the PH is too soft for them.

About the Nerite Snails, I choose them because supposedly they are good algae eaters, and they're good looking too. But I might go with some more Amano shrimps and some ponds snail, as I have about 10 Clithon Corona in a 300 liters and is true that they lay a lot of eggs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Those otocinclus will starve to death if you don't feed them. It's cruel to put that many in a 60p as a "clean up crew".
Yeah. Otos need a much more natural environment, with a good amount of algae, to survive. That, or you’ll have to drop an algae wafer in the tank every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts