The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 23g Fluval Vista, with an aqua clear 50 filter. I do roughly 25% water changes once a week.

The tank is pretty heavily planted with low light plants and there's a decent amount of driftwood.

Right now the tank holds:

6 panda corries
16 neon tetras

I miss the motion and activity of fish I've had in the past, but I really don't miss the aggression. I'd like to have a very peaceful, harmonious tank, but I'd really like a bit more visual interest and fist that stand out with a bit of personality.

I'm wondering about a small school of mid-sized tetras, or honey gourami, or possibly thread fin rainbows or dwarf neon rainbows.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
281 Posts
i know what you mean about the aggression - its a real turn off and it sucks cause it rules out so many cool looking fish!
i had to google to see what the "dwarf neon rainbows" you mentioned were - and wow!!!!!! thats a nice fish!! i would totally scoop those up!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I like rummy nose tetras. They really like to school and the school travels around the tank. They are often used in nature tank designs such as the ones done by Takashi Amano.

The other fish you mention would be good too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i agree about the rummy noses sticking together schooling - very cool. i had a few and liked them very much for that reason but honestly they were just a little too hyper for my taste. always darting back and forth! lol!!! like i just wanted them to stop and chill for a little while! very very nice looking in a group though for sure!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I vote thread fins! I have not kept them myself, but have done more research about them than I care to admit and their care is very straight forward. Eventually I'd like to get a species only tank set up for them.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Dwarf Neon Rainbows are not good in a small tank. They are not all that small, and the males are quite pushy, to the point of harassing the females to death.

If you want to keep the current stock, I would add a single Honey Gourami for interest in the upper area.
If you want to swap the Neon Tetras for something else, then the Threadfin Rainbows would be nice. The males will display to each other, but are not really aggressive.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've always wanted to keep hatchet fish, but they jump so the cover has to stay on the tank. I think they would look very nice in your setup. Maybe five of them? If your tank is well established and planted, five hatchets would do nicely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.