The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 35 gallon aquarium (a 24" cube). I'm looking for some stocking advice. I have 6 trilineatus corydoras and 5 zebra danios.

Ultimately, I would like to get celestial pearl danios, neon tetras, reticulated hillstream loaches, and otocinclus catfish.

I was thinking maybe 3 hillstream loaches, 6 neon tetras, 6 celestial pearl danios, and 6 otocinclus. My tap water is around 7.4.

Would this overcrowd my tank? If I go with my plan above, should (can) I move the zebra danios to my 10 gallon? Will the zebras eat cherry shrimp?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If anything, I would move the tetras or the cpds into the 10. Neither are as fast swimming as zebra danios, and I really think they benefit from having a longer tank to swim around in.

Your stocking list doesn't seem too intense to me. The biofilter will most likely take care of everything with that level of fish. However I worry that you may have too many small schoals of fish. I'd recommend choosing one midwater species, and beefing both the zebra danio school and the midwater species to 12 fish each. For example, 12 zebra danios, and 12 cpds. Hillstream loaches and otocinclus aren't really the best schooling fish, so that's less of an issue to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anything, I would move the tetras or the cpds into the 10. Neither are as fast swimming as zebra danios, and I really think they benefit from having a longer tank to swim around in.

Your stocking list doesn't seem too intense to me. The biofilter will most likely take care of everything with that level of fish. However I worry that you may have too many small schoals of fish. I'd recommend choosing one midwater species, and beefing both the zebra danio school and the midwater species to 12 fish each. For example, 12 zebra danios, and 12 cpds. Hillstream loaches and otocinclus aren't really the best schooling fish, so that's less of an issue to me.
That's great advice! Thanks! I am mainly interested in the Neon Tetras because my wife loves them, so maybe we could put a small school of them into a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd put the CPDs in the 10g, and the neons in the cube. CPDs a more shy and skittish, and the zebras are going to eat everything before it can get down to the smaller fish. Give the CPDs their own heavily planted tank so they feel more secure, and you could probably keep 15 of them in a 10g.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts