The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22 gallon tank (24" long) that currently houses six threadfin rainbows, six red neon paskai rainbows and a handful of shrimp.

I'm trying to decide whether to add to the rainbow schools, or add some cories - specifically c. hasbrosus.

If I add cories, do I have enough stocking space left to make them happy? I know they need to be kept in groups of at least six, and preferably more.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I looked at Aqadvisor, I'm not close to being stocked. Tank is 24" x 12" x 17" high. The closest thing Aqadvisor has in their list to red neon paskai is spotted blue eyes. If you chose red irian rainbows those grow much larger. The paskai are tiny at <1" each. I'm running an Aquaclear 70 on the tank.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Rainbows tend to be top swimmer (I don't know the specific of yours though), and the cories are mostly at the bottom so they should be out of each other's way. With that said, 24" tank is a little bit cramped, I find that footprint is more helpful than height for heavy stocking.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you considered pygmy cories? I have them in my 20 gallon. I've had both and I prefer the pygmies. They can get into all the little spaces for clean up and fun to watch em school together.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
According to aqadvisor you are all full already.
That is a great starting point, though it has some issues, like it won't take into account plants. It also can over-exaggerate some aggression levels. There are also a few instances of really small fish showing up as using 75% of your stock when something larger like a Cichlid only uses 20%. They might have fixed that by now though.

@shattersea what are your water parameters like? Do you run into any issues with ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate? c. hasbrosus unlike the other two pygmy cories like to stick around the bottom more but even if they do head to the top it should not be an issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had Pygmy cories before and found that they spent all their time hiding. I was hoping hasbrosus would be a little more social. It's very possible that I didn't have enough cories in my tank as I only had five. Maybe they needed a bigger group.

Tank is only 1.5 months old. Ammonia and nitrate are zero. Nitrates are about 10 ppm last time I tested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find my c. Habrosus very bold & out in the open all the time. I only have 3 at the moment in a 20 long with lampeye killis & platies. I also have 4 in QT waiting to move in. I think they would do well with the rainbows, they like similar water parameters. Threadfins are so peaceful. I would get them & don't think you will be sorry with a small school of habrosus.

In my experience, stocking wise, Aq advisor looks at the footprint of the tank more than height. In this case I think you'd be fine with the corys & rainbows, peaceful species using different areas of the tank.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
C habrosus are tiny and won't add much to the bio load. I would also say go for it. I started with 6 in a 20 gal with 4 L134 plecos. Now I have well over 60 in there as they constantly breed. But I have a ton of plants and while the tank is horribly overstocked, all is well with the fish. These corys love to be in a large group. Luckily the Atlanta Area Fish Club auction is coming up in April and I can take a good number of them there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've had Pygmy cories before and found that they spent all their time hiding. I was hoping hasbrosus would be a little more social. It's very possible that I didn't have enough cories in my tank as I only had five. Maybe they needed a bigger group.

Tank is only 1.5 months old. Ammonia and nitrate are zero. Nitrates are about 10 ppm last time I tested.
Pygmy cories SHOULD NOT spend their time hiding all the time. I find mine a sociable bunch and they will shoal in open space and forage actively. Also, they will rest from time to time, but will rejoin their shoal as other fish swim by. I only have 7, but I still find them very sociable. They are actually more active than the Dainty cory(C.habrosus), but if u want fish at different levels dainty cory is a better option. And yes as garfieldnfish said more the merrier!

·
Registered
479 Posts
When I looked at Aqadvisor, I'm not close to being stocked. Tank is 24" x 12" x 17" high. The closest thing Aqadvisor has in their list to red neon paskai is spotted blue eyes. If you chose red irian rainbows those grow much larger. The paskai are tiny at <1" each. I'm running an Aquaclear 70 on the tank.
Yeah I used the wrong rainbows. If you are at 64% then you should be fine getting a nice group of cories.

My personal favorites are Sterbai cories, beautiful markings, very social and active.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You could do 6 or even 10.

Go for the cory's they add so much to a tank, very peaceful little creatures.

Even if your were to overstock, bigger water changes will eliminate any issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.