The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be redoing my 96G soon and i was wondering if this stocking plan would work. I have a built in 11g sump and will have about 70G of water volume with substrate.
So here's what I've got:
45-50 Harlequins Rasboras
7-8 Roselines Barbs
3 Cherry barbs along with several fry.
2 BN plecos
20 amanos
18-20 ottos

What do you think?

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
If it were my tank, i'd cut back on the number of ottos and add a few more bristlenose plecos. 40+ harlequins also seems too many; i'd say 30 max. The 3 cherry barbs kinda seem random since they're so small but whatever floats your boat. :)

Sounds good though! Excited to see what you do with your rescape.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
It's easily doable if your sump is good filtration... I'd cut down on the ottos for sure though seems like a lot.

In my 75g with 20g sump I have.. 25x Rummy nose ,15xCardinals,8x sterbai corys,8x honeycomb cats,3x Discus,1x Gold nugget pleco, and 1x SAE.

Everyone is doing great.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm afraid that they'll get too big. But I see your point there. Maybe say only a dozen ottos and add 2-3 BNP's? Since my LFS told me the max I should have in my tank would be 4 BNP's. Suggestions on that?

Yea I'll probably get rid of them. I just had them for fun and have been there ever since. Also I got some SAE's right now that I'll be selling of giving back to the LFS.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's easily doable if your sump is good filtration... I'd cut down on the ottos for sure though seems like a lot.

In my 75g with 20g sump I have.. 25x Rummy nose ,15xCardinals,8x sterbai corys,8x honeycomb cats,3x Discus,1x Gold nugget pleco, and 1x SAE.

Everyone is doing great.
Yea now that I look at it it seems kind of alot. :) I think discus have a pretty high bioload so I think that'll balance out right? I think I'll add the amanos and ottos first, then the harlequins, then the Roselines in the end of the final touch.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Yea now that I look at it it seems kind of alot. :) I think discus have a pretty high bioload so I think that'll balance out right? I think I'll add the amanos and ottos first, then the harlequins, then the Roselines in the end of the final touch.
My stocking is super high... almost no one agrees with it. :hihi: But my fish do great, my plants do great, so I'm happy. Why fix what isn't broken?

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you really want cherry barbs you should do 9 since it is a shoaling species and would be much happier in a small group. I like cherry barbs, they are one of my favorites!

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just calculated it into AqAdvisor with this:
7 Roselines
45 Harlequins
22 Amanos
12 Otos
4 BNP's
I used an Eheim 2262 as my filter since it had a filter volume of about 4.8 gallons and an Eheim 2213 since it had a filter volume of 0.8 gallons which is about the same as mine since I have about a space in my sump of about 5.5-6 gallons full of bio balls. So I got that I was 300% over filtration, which I'm probably lower than that since eheim has better media but I'm 109% at stocking level so I guess I'm ok?

And do BNP's need DW? Since if they do... its gonna be a problem...

·
Registered
233 Posts
So I just calculated it into AqAdvisor with this:
7 Roselines
45 Harlequins
22 Amanos
12 Otos
4 BNP's
I used an Eheim 2262 as my filter since it had a filter volume of about 4.8 gallons and an Eheim 2213 since it had a filter volume of 0.8 gallons which is about the same as mine since I have about a space in my sump of about 5.5-6 gallons full of bio balls. So I got that I was 300% over filtration, which I'm probably lower than that since eheim has better media but I'm 109% at stocking level so I guess I'm ok?

And do BNP's need DW? Since if they do... its gonna be a problem...

Yes Bristlenoses do need drift wood. They rasp at it and it helps with their digestion. I'd skip the Bristlenoses anyways. They're good tank wall cleaners, but they can be rough with plants. Mine is like a flailing bulldozer knocking down/uprooting anything that gets in his way. The thought of him in a dutch style makes me cringe a bit lol.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I can't wait to see this project come to lite! I never seen the Aqadvisor before so I am gonna have to check it out!
Thanks!

Yes Bristlenoses do need drift wood. They rasp at it and it helps with their digestion. I'd skip the Bristlenoses anyways. They're good tank wall cleaners, but they can be rough with plants. Mine is like a flailing bulldozer knocking down/uprooting anything that gets in his way. The thought of him in a dutch style makes me cringe a bit lol.
That does bring up a point... Mine have been rasping on my amazon but I think they'll leave it alone as long as they're something like zucchini in the tank. And the thought of them getting to 4" does make me think they'll just rip things apart....

Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'll give you my stock list in my 20G half-moon to give you an idea of what's possible. AquaAdvisor is a good tool to reference, especially for the beginner aquarist, but it is by no means an accurate estimation. If you have a medium-to-heavily planted tank, then AquAdvisor can be thrown out the window...or Alt-F4'd.

Here's what I have and tank is stable (it's been stressed and still stable) and I would consider it medium planted (having revisted it)...

7 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Badis Badis
6 Neon Tetras
3 Bloodfin Tetras
2 Bubble Rams
2 Bumblebee Gobys
2 African Dwarf Frogs
2 SAE
4 Golden Ottos
5 Corys (2 panda + 3 pepper)
1 danio (not a normal resident)
1 chili rasboras (not a normal resident)
5 Amano Shrimp
~5 Cherry Shrimp

All fish are showing colors beautifully. Tank has been stressed with overfeeding and no ammonia spikes. Most of its due to the large filter (Eheim 2215) and the plants. I also spot feed bloodworms and the like - things that would release a lot of ammonia if left to degrade in the tank.

As far as your ottos go...they school beautifully in larger numbers. 15 + would be appropriate in your tank, imo. 50 Harlequins, although an impressive number, wouldn't look all too great, imo - they're more accustomed to being a background fish rather than the main attraction - in your case they'd probably be the Roselines.

As far as stocking levels go for biological safety, you're way in the clear, especially so if this thing is medium-heavily planted with good filtration (if you meet the needs of good CO2 - water movement reached with good filtration + powerheads, then its more than enough for fish safety). My tank is low-tech with only the Eheim 2215 (more than enough imo). You'd be surprised what a good filter and plants can handle in terms of biological waste/ammonia/nitrites/all the bad stuff.

My advise....first stock the tank with the fish you want most. Although I honestly think you're far from stocking limits, when you get to finishing your stock list, add the fish in slowly to see how the tank handles it. Simple as that. Space out the latter fish species/numbers and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here's my updated list:
7 Roselines(7 at once)
40 Harlequins(10 at a time)
20 amanos(another 10)
12 ottos(another 6)
4 BNP's

Do you think cholla wood will be good for BNP's? Since I don't want any hardscape in my dutch... And if it doesn't work, then I'll just replace the BNP's with another 6 ottos...

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
So here's my updated list:
7 Roselines(7 at once)
40 Harlequins(10 at a time)
20 amanos(another 10)
12 ottos(another 6)
4 BNP's

Do you think cholla wood will be good for BNP's? Since I don't want any hardscape in my dutch... And if it doesn't work, then I'll just replace the BNP's with another 6 ottos...
List looks good. Have you thought of using some small pieces of wood just to help make "streets" In your tank? It wouldn't really be hard scape exactly.But it would help keep your plant's neat and organized to maintain the dutch look. Plus it would solve the pleco issue

Just a though..

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
List looks good. Have you thought of using some small pieces of wood just to help make "streets" In your tank? It wouldn't really be hard scape exactly.But it would help keep your plant's neat and organized to maintain the dutch look. Plus it would solve the pleco issue

Just a though..
Yea I thought of that and since my sump is built in and my tank is only 18" deep, that leaves about 14" from back to back which isn't alot. Although I love Tom's new tank which all the wood and dutch style... I actually really want to put some nice manzy in here but I also have another problem and its that the openings at the top of the tank are less than say 10" wide? Which limits the hardscape I can put in there by a lot!

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Yea I thought of that and since my sump is built in and my tank is only 18" deep, that leaves about 14" from back to back which isn't alot. Although I love Tom's new tank which all the wood and dutch style... I actually really want to put some nice manzy in here but I also have another problem and its that the openings at the top of the tank are less than say 10" wide? Which limits the hardscape I can put in there by a lot!
I'm confused as to what this tank looks like.. could you post some pics of the setup? The sump is built into the back? Excuse my stupidity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.