The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a heavily planted 36 gallon corner tank and am looking for stocking suggestions and advice. Dimensions are: 24" at deepest point, 34" at widest point, and 19.5" tall.

Current inhabitants are:
- trio honey gourami
- 8 harlequin rasbora
- 3 panda cory

I want to increase the schools of cories and rasboras, and was thinking of adding a single or pair of angelfish.

I was also thinking of adding ONE of the following:
- small school of emperor (palmeri) tetra
- small school of diamond tetra
- pair or trio of badis badis
- pair or trio of cockatoo apisto

Ideally, I want a peaceful community tank that is fully stocked with hardy fish that won't fin nip or bother my plants. I also want something that occupies the bottom half that will have nice a color contrast with the other inhabitants.
What would be the better option, or what would you veto? Open to other suggestions as well! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
945 Posts
First off you need to up your cory's to six or more.

Angel may make a snack of your rasbora as they get bigger.

Diamond tetra would be great. I have a dozen in q/t right now.

Cockatoo apisto would also work great.

How about also upping your harlequin rasbora to over 20. I got about 30 in a tank right now and they school great.

Nothing you suggested won't work but angel could be a problem later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I have been wanting a nice school of panda cories, and was planning on adding a few, but this would be my last attempt. I've had these three for over a year, but these were 3 of 9 that survived...sensitive little things. If it doesn't work out, I may move these guys to another tank and try a different cory school for the 36 gallon (perhaps sterbai?)- it would be unfortunate though, as pandas are my favorite.

I love my harlequins, I was thinking of doubling the school to make it 16.

I like the look of diamond tetras, and was reading that they are pretty peaceful and non-nippy for a tetra, but would they look washed out in a brightly lit tank?

Angels have been on my wish list for quite a while, and I finally have a tank to support them...would it be better to keep one? or a pair?

My indecisiveness drives me crazy...glad to come here to get some feedback :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
What I have done for cory's is go to R/O water. They really love soft water. I'm not saying that you can't keep them other water condition but I have had good luck. I have had them breed in several times in there community tank. I love the panda's too. I started with 8 and have some were around 15 now.

One thing is your over thinking this just go with the fish you like as time goes on you will have more tanks. I started with one and now up to six. So as time goes on you can try all the fish on your list. Most of the fish you have listed live about 3 years. I have seen some of my fish die of old age. I had long fin red serpa that were every bit of three years old passed on and the diamond tetra are there replacements.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I have the same tank that houses mostly cories, including breeding Pandas. Behavior wise, Angels are hit or miss and I personally would not keep them in a tank shorter then 24". Temptations aside, I would bump up your schools of Pandas and Harlequins.

Appistos and rams are great for that tank, but they can be really touchy about water conditions and they like warmer water then cories. Cories and dwarf cichlids would have to share the bottom 1/3 of the tank and cories do like eating eggs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my angels are plant destroyers. There is nothing they won't chew.
Gahhh! Thank you for this information! Is this common with angels? As much as I like angelfish, I like my plants better! That being said, is there an alternative for angelfish as a centerpiece that would work with this setup?

The largest fish in this tank are my 2" honey gouramis, and I would like something that:

a) Stands out
b) Is plant safe
c) Is community safe
d) Is in the 4-5" size range?