The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm looking for some advice on stocking a 32 gallon 3 foot tank planted tank. I have 7 cherry barbs currently and want to add a few more fish. I have a seachem tidal 55 and one other 73 gph filter(more for circulation than anything)
I'm considering adding 15 x green/regular neon tetras, a group of ghost shrimp maybe 10-20 and 5 x otocinclus . Aqadvisor comes out to 76 % stocked. Is this a good stocking combination or should I be switching out any of these, are there any better clean up crew options (snails maybe?) And should I be adding some kind of centerpiece fish instead like Apistogramma?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Life is so much easier with an understocked planted aquarium! However, I'm biased as plants are my focus. In my biased opinion, I would increase the Cherry Barb population to 12 and center peice an Apisto pair, calling it a day there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you not add some kind of clean up crew? Algae, uneaten food etc?

·
Registered
343 Posts
The only clean up guys I can keep alive in my tanks are Ramshorn snails, so I have to make "me" the clean up crew. :LOL: But certainly, adding shrimp has very little impact on your water and I would not count them in your stocking "load". Feel free to add shrimp with no worries.
I used Cherry Barbs to reduce my shrimp population, so be aware that they will eat shrimp. Snails, especially larger snails, will add to the overall bioload, so do account for them. 2 or 3 Nerite sized snails should be fine.
But realistically, you can increase your stocking, just keep in mind, you may have to increase your water change schedule. It's mostly up to how much effort you want to put into the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts