·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey so I've been steadily stocking my 20H and currently have

5 black neon tetra
6 white long fin blushing tetra
3 peppered cory cats
Buncha cherry shrimp

Now ideally I'd like to double my black neons and maybe get to 8-10 total of the long fins. Would that be totally overstocking? I don't wanna stress anything out and will sacrifice my ideal stock if it will. So what's everyone's opinion?

Thx

Also I tested my parameters yesterday at

pH: 6.8-7
Ammonia/nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrate: 15 ppm

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
What you really need to do is double, at least, your cories. They're schooling fish. You could probably also add a few more of each tetra, but 15 more would be too many, especially since the longfins are sorta bulky.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know that about the corys! Do they have to be peppered or can any type of Cory work? I'll add three more either way in a week or so, want to let my tank adjust to the long fins I added tonight. Think I'll add 2 more of them and 5-6 more black neons and be happy with the tank

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up taking the white skirts back. They were shoving around my black neons and I caught one with a rcs in its mouth. Ended up getting one bn pleco and three more black neons. I think I'll add three more of the peppered corys when I can find them then maybe 6-8 more blck neons and that'll be my stock. Looking better...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those peppered cories are quite easy to breed by dropping the temperature (I think about 21C).
Hmm, haven't considered that. Would I be okay to do that in my main tank or would I need a seperate breeder?

So I guess my ideal stock now would be:

6-7 spotted Cory
1 bristlenose pleco
Handful of rcs, they shouldn't effect bio load too much tho right?
And I'd really like to have like 13-15 of the black neons

How does that sound? I do 50% weekly pwc and have an aquaclear 50 HOB. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a discount on a reliable canister filter, but am also pretty sure that would be way overkill.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Depends what they share the tank with. They lay their eggs on the glass from where you can harvest them with a scraper.

I think the fishes are small enough for stock numbers to correct itself if you have too many.
On tht size tank, I would choose cories or RCS, just so there is enough food for them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MaroMan hipped me to that filtration calculator and it's telling me that stock would have me at 110% filtration which is in the safe zone. I'm going for it. Gotta cajole my lfs into getting some peppered corys in for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.