The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well-planted 20-long aquarium currently housing a school of neon tetras and a school of (purple) harlequin rasboras. I think there should be one other kind of fish in the aquarium, but I really can't decide what it should be. I have Eco-Complete substrate, which limits my choice somewhat. I also have a lot of floating plants, if that's a consideration. (Parameters: no ammonia or nitrite; no appreciable nitrate; KH=4; GH=7, pH situates naturally above 7 but dips to about 6.6–6.8 with the addition of CO2.)

I've attached a picture. What would you add?

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
If it was me, I'd add shrimp, probably neos.. If the tetras and rasboras are your only fish, then there's nothing occupying the bottom of the tank. Ive read corys prefer smoother substrate, or I'd have a bunch of those in my tanks as well. I also have eco-complete in most of my tanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was me, I'd add shrimp, probably neos.. If the tetras and rasboras are your only fish, then there's nothing occupying the bottom of the tank. Ive read corys prefer smoother substrate, or I'd have a bunch of those in my tanks as well. I also have eco-complete in most of my tanks.
Thanks; I guess I've never really seen the appeal of shrimp, but I'd be open-minded. What is it you like about them?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks; I guess I've never really seen the appeal of shrimp, but I'd be open-minded. What is it you like about them?
The appeal of shrimp for me, is they make very good clean up, mostly for algae. The bonus is they come in some pretty awesome colors. I've always been fascinated by crawdads as a kid, and these are colorful mini versions without the aggression and destructive tendencies.

Reactions: GothicGroucho

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Well...how many fish do you have? Like, you say you have schools, but that could be anywhere from 3 fish and up. My definition of a school is at least 8 fish, but most people agree that it's probably 6+, and some people consider 3...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If you're looking for more school like motion I'd consider pygmy cories, they're not as bottom dwelling as other cories but they don't behave like tetra. If you're looking for feature fish I'd suggest a pair of apisto.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I did apisto breeding in a barebottom tank and have kept them with all forms of substrate- they are not as dainty as they would seem, especially now that they are readily available tank bred. Just make sure you trust the lfs or breeder you're getting them from because some of these "backyard breeders" have highly inbred and diseased stock. I, personally, love them. Just make sure your schoolers have places to hide cuz they like to harass their tank mates, just don't underestimate the size of their mouth 😂 cuz anything that fits in it is fair game. Luckily they don't turn very quickly so they're out maneuvered easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did apisto breeding in a barebottom tank and have kept them with all forms of substrate- they are not as dainty as they would seem, especially now that they are readily available tank bred. Just make sure you trust the lfs or breeder you're getting them from because some of these "backyard breeders" have highly inbred and diseased stock. I, personally, love them. Just make sure your schoolers have places to hide cuz they like to harass their tank mates, just don't underestimate the size of their mouth 😂 cuz anything that fits in it is fair game. Luckily they don't turn very quickly so they're out maneuvered easily.
So, they're liable to be aggressive to the neons/rasboras?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Not aggressive, just showy. I suggest setting up a couple small clay pots or driftwood caves so they can claim it, from there they usually just chase everyone away, harassing them. Apisto stick mostly to the bottom of the tank, schoolers stick to the middle (for the most part) so it's not as much of a problem as you might be thinking. Apisto need dither fish to really settle in to the role of centerpiece fish- if they don't have something for them to chase around you'll never see them unless it's feeding time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not aggressive, just showy. I suggest setting up a couple small clay pots or driftwood caves so they can claim it, from there they usually just chase everyone away, harassing them. Apisto stick mostly to the bottom of the tank, schoolers stick to the middle (for the most part) so it's not as much of a problem as you might be thinking. Apisto need dither fish to really settle in to the role of centerpiece fish- if they don't have something for them to chase around you'll never see them unless it's feeding time.
Can I just get any M and F and call them a pair, or do they have to actually be a pair?
What do you mean by "harassing"?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You could just get a male and a female, but they won't necessarily pair off if you do it that way. It's not necessarily a problem, you'd just have to set up multiple hiding spots for the female- even though they're larger the males are still more dominant. If you have the opportunity to purchase from a local co op or breeder I would get an established pair as they are so much fun to watch.

As for "harassing"- they will flare up open their mouths as large as they can and charge at whatever they are pretending is a threat to their home at the time. They are indiscriminate- plant, fish, human hand- doesn't matter, they will chase it away and lord forbid it doesn't run (I learned quickly not to put their caves near unestablished plants lol). They are a lot like dogs that are almost all bark and no bite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.