The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a aquaeon 14 gallon fish tank with...

2 golden barbs
3 cherry barbs
3 zebra danios
1 albino bristolnose pleco
1 spotted cory

Total: 10 fish

I want to finish stocking but don't know what the best stocking plan is? I've been told to get rid of the 2 golden barbs and add to the zebras and cherries. My stocking plan is to get 5 zebra danios and 5 cherry barbs. and then have my 1 bristolnose pleco and spotted cory for the bottom. Is this a good setup? Is it overstocked? I have 2 10 watt flourecent bulbs running and it's right next to the window and the plants are doing great, but i was wondering if i should start using fertilizer or co2 in the tank. I like it being sort of low tech but i want my plants to do well and thrive.

Thanks, Braden

·
Registered
370 Posts
I personally don't believe there is a solid rule in terms of stoking. Alot of ppl throw around the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule but that just seems too generalized for me to rely on.

You have to take a number of factors into the situation:

1) What does your filtration consist of? If you have 2 or 3 time the recommended filtration, then obviously your system is going to be able to withstand a higher bioload.

2) What type of fish do you plan on keeping? Goldfish are notorious producers of waste but other fish can be bad too. Alot of ppl also consider plecos pretty bad but thier are numerous species and I personally have only ever kept a few common plecos so I won't comment here as to the particulars of your species.

3) Its not how big the fish is when you add it but how large is it going to get? Many ppl dismiss this but the adult size of the fish should be factored into your stocking decision.

4) What do you perfer? Preference plays a role. Personally, I like an under-stocked tank to some degree. Too many fish are distracting to the eye and can take away from the overall appearance in my opinion. Other ppl like community tanks filled with fish of all shapes, sizes, and colors. This is fine too, within reason, so long as you design a system that still takes the needs of the fish into consideration.

There are also a number of other factors that play a role here (for instance, danios are mostly top water fish where as your cory will stick to the substrate) and I'm sure there are others that can give you laundry lists of additional things to consider.

That said, so long as you have adequate filtration, I don't think that your plan of removing the goldens and having a total of 5 zebras, 5 danios, is overstocking your system. The cory should be fine as well. I would however look into the adult size of the pleco and make plans as to its final destination if it is going to get much bigger.

·
Super Moderator
17,161 Posts
How? Even with high filtration and flow, that tank's already crowded with fish that aren't exactly tiny. The tank may be able to handle them but that doesn't mean they'll be happy or healthy as a result of being crowded.

You could easily stock 15-20 tiny fish like Chili Rasboras in that tank with a few cories or some such... but not 15 of the fish listed above.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks for the advice. I'm running 2 filters one rated for 15 gallons and the other rated for 20 gallons. I have an aqueon quietflow 10 and an aqua-tech 5-15. I would like to do the 5 zebras danios, 5 cherry barbs, and the cory. I would like to keep the albino bristolnose because the reason i got him over other plecos is because they only grow to 4 or 5 inches usually while others can grow over a foot long. I want the tank to be pretty stocked and every 2-3 weeks i do a 30 percent water change but i might want to do more?

·
Registered
618 Posts
oh i didn't see the zebra danios. i'd get rid of those or one type of barb.

6-7 cherries and 6-7 goldens plus a plec in a 14 gallon is not that bad... with regular water changes.

imo it'll look better than a bunch of random fish thrown together.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd advise a school of 6-8 cherry barbs and a bristlenose, tops. Cories like to school, so having a single one won't work that well.

Danios would work as well, but you really want tanks with high unidirectional flow to see them at their best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yah i kind of agree with you but i really kind of want variety in my tank and if i had a bigger tank i would probably make this one all cherries or all zebras (probably Cherries) though. So would this setup overstock the tank or would it be okay?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yah i kind of agree with you but i really kind of want variety in my tank and if i had a bigger tank i would probably make this one all cherries or all zebras (probably Cherries) though. So would this setup overstock the tank or would it be okay?

If you want variety, it's best achieved by fish that act differently. Instead of two types of schooling fish, have a schooling fish and a bottom dweller.

My recommendation would be a type of schooling fish you like, and then an interesting bottom dweller. A school of cories would work (C. habrosus has my vote), but you could also try peacock gudgeons, a clown pleco, or amano shrimp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i could take out the 2 goldens and then add 4 silver tip if you would take out two and add 4 that get to half the size plus you said right now i have more room for two more smaller fish like silver tips if i get rid of the goldens then i can get 4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.