The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So I have a 10 gallon tank which currently has 1 female German Blue Ram and 2 Harlequin Rasboras.

Here is a picture of the tank...

Plant Green Organism Pet supply Terrestrial plant

So my question is what do you recommend I do for the tank? I was thinking of either adding a school of cardinal tetras or some other type of fish like small puffer fish or some glowlight danios, lambchop rasboras, ember tetras, or maybe celestial pearl danios if I worked up the courage to spend that much money on a tiny fish!

Also my female ram has faded her colors and is not near as colorful as she used to be. So would adding a male ram bring out her colors? Is there a way to get her to be colorful again without purchasing a male? I'm pretty sure she is healthy and maybe it is just the lack of a mate? If I did do a pair of rams, would I be able to do some other fish with them like some cardinals or a small school of like 6 ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, or micro rasboras?

Here is a profile with the different specs of the tank...http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=9314

Thanks for the help,
Braden :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think that even if you had a mated pair of rams in the tank, as long as you had a good filter in there, you could add a school of fish with no problem. No grantee that you will have any good spawns from your rams with tetras in there;)! As for your choice on schoolers, I would go with ember tetras, they are small, but have amazing color :bounce:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Do you think micro rasboras or cpds could work to, since they are also small and colorful? Could I raise the fry in a 5 gallon or would a 10 be the minimum? I could possibly put a 5 or maybe a 10 below this 10 and put their fry in there. Do you think that would work well?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont know what the min. is on raising the fry would be :confused:, but if I were you I would get a 10 and planted very heavily, but good luck getting to the eggs before the parents or the other fish get to them (apparently fish enjoy caviar too!) The mirco rasboras and cpds would work as well, but I would only get one school of fish, maybe you could give away your harlequins and the other fish for the school, or get more harlequins and build up a school of them, either way, it is up to you what you want to do with the tank...
I would use this, www.aqadvisor.com, to check your stocking levels and see what you could add, also check out some of the older post on here and see what they say.:proud:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
IDK, 15 is the smallest I would ever go for a pair. The male might become territorial and chase the female a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am most likely going to get rid of the harlequins so they will hopefully be able to go in a tank with more fish. I used to have more but they passed away and I haven't replaced them since now I am most likely going to get rid of them. I do have a 15 gallon but it has fish in it right now, and I'm not sure yet whether I am going to make it a shell dweller tank or a planted tank. Would it be best to start off with the 2 rams and get rid of the harlequins and then add the other fish if it works out well?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I wouldn't do a pair of rams in a 10. You are kind of pushing it with one and other fish in there. The ram WILL eventually get territorial and chase the others. The fact that your ram is losing color means one of two things: a) poor water quality or b) it is just not happy in that small a space with others in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is a pair of rams with some amano shrimp okay in a 10 gallon? I really like the way they look and I would like to do them in the 10 gallon if possible. I do have a 15 gallon that I could convert. Is their any other fish that are interesting for a 10 gallon planted. Would a apisto pair work?

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are a lot of micro fish that can do well in a 10 gallon planted tank. I personally would not keep a pair of rams in a 10.

I had 3 breeding pairs of Elassoma gilberti in a heavily planted 10 gallon, and they were my absolute favorite fish I've ever kept in a smaller tank. Loads of personality and the males are absolutely stunning in breeding coloration! Plus they do adorable little dances.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the opinion. I may try to stick with the pair of rams with the amano shrimp at first and see how it goes. I can report back what happens. It's nice to see the different variety of opinions on the fish as it seems like a controversial issue! I do appreciate the comments telling me that they wouldn't do it and giving me reasons, however I would like to try this and I will hopefully have some success and be able to report back and experiment whether it works or not.

Those are cool fish Destroyer! How much do you spend on them and how big do they get if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Braden

·
Registered
248 Posts
It was awhile ago, but If I remember correctly I got the 3 pairs anywhere from 40$-60$. EricaWieser on NANFA was selling them regularly on aquabid but for some reason she hasn't sold any lately. It seems like E. gilberti nowadays is a bit rare, but there are several Elassoma species with similar coloration.

They only get an inch, maybe 1.25 tops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts