The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10 gal very heavily planted tank that is lacking all animal life aside from snails and planaria. I have kept this tank empty for the possible fry from other tanks. But I have other, better suited tanks for fry and this tank is up for a new adventure.
Tank perimeters:
10 gal, heavily planted with duckweed and anacharis. Very little swimming room left, with some snails (MTSs) and some planaria. Even so I have not feed this tank in several months, the snails and a few planaria seem to manage. The plants are thriving and it appears to be a contained environment where plants and critters thrive on one another. What fish or critter would do well in this tank? PH is 7.0. TDS 90. Sponge filter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You might not see them much but swamp darters (Etheostoma fusiforme)would do well. they do need live food but you could put in some bloodworms or tubifex,etc every week and they will find them or another neat fish that I think will eat flake or dry bloodworms,etc is the kuhli loach (Ancanthophthalmus Kuhlii).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bettas, gouramis, scarlet badis, dwarf puffers... probably a lot more Im not thinking of. They all seem to really appreciate the "planted jungle with no swimming room" type of tank.

Maybe a female betta sorority?

·
Registered
204 Posts
No, female betta sororities need to be at least 20g longs for there to be longterm success. A 10g will only fit about 3 females, and even that is not enough to spread aggression. I highly recommend a 20g if going that route. It also just looks a lot better.

A better 10g anabantoid group would be sparkling gouramis. They are so pretty; one of my favorites.

did you try looking in the Nano Tank forum for suggestions? Lots of folks there stock 10gs and have plenty of ideas. I personally like the look of of a school of microrasboras among plants with red cherry shrimp or a small centerpiece fish like a honey gourami. Normans lampeyes are also very pretty against a dark tank.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Clown killifish?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts