The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded from a 29 gallon to a 90 gallon with 20 gallon sump. It's a high tech planted tank.

I currently have:
-28 cardinal tetras (8 were in the 29gal, bought 20 more)
-2 ember tetras (were in the 29. Had more but they died)
-1 habrosus cory (again had more but died)
-bunch of cherry shrimp

I would definitely like to get:
-10-15 habrosus corys

I would also like to get, but not sure I it's too much.
-5-10 ember tetras
-pair of bristlenose plecos
-5 kuhli loaches but probably won't work with a sump
-a hillstream loach

Thoughts? Too many fish?

·
Registered
963 Posts
For a 90g tank, what you've posted for potential stock is certainly not too many fish, in my opinion, given the size of the fish you're interested in. If you're going to stock mostly these nano fish (bristlenose, excepted), you could certainly up the numbers you're looking at or look at additional species to include - and there are lots of options.

I love small fish (Habrosus are a favorite of mine) but I keep smaller tanks. If I were looking at a 90g, I think I'd go with some larger specimens - larger tetras or even some of the barbs. But maybe that's just because I've been looking at mostly smaller fish for so long. The largest I have are diamond tetras and Candy Cane tetras in a 40B. A large tank filled with nano sized fish could certainly be an interesting tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I like the look of more smaller fish and understocked tanks. I'm worried it will look too overstocked with this many fish. I'll probably add the habrosus next and see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I also like the stocking ideas. You're making sure to replenish the fish populations of what you had (always a plus and very commendable), as well as add in other fish as well. How is your tank plumbed? Is it using an overflow, or is it drilled? If there's an overflow, you can probably cut out a sponge to fit over the teeth so the kuhlis can't get through it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Adding to the fish populations was one of the major drivers to get a bigger tank (and more room for plants). I want big schools to try to get more natural behaviors. I would really like them to breed, but have a feeling the larva would get picked off.

It's drilled with an internal overflow box. I made a screen to block the shrimp and fish, but somehow both can still get caught in the overflow. Don't think I can do too much more without restricting too much flow. If a cardinal can get through, I think the Kuhlis will too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.