The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Ive recently started a planted 12" cube, 7.5 gallons. I've got the finnex 360 on it, which is rated at 95 gallons/hour, vermicompost under neath fluval stratum.

Plants are dwarf hair drass, micro chain sword, dwarf sag, cardinal, hygro, rotala. Pictures etc can be found here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...96-first-planted-12x12-cube-tank-journal.html

I wont be stocking for some time, but have started thinking about what I want to do.

I want three kinds of animals in the tank:

1) A very small nano fish, so I can have enough for them to display schooling/shoaling.

2) Shrimps! Tiny ones.

3) Clean-up crew.

Here is what I want to know: Would the following be over stocking the above described tank?

8 emerald dwarf rasbora. Maximum size on these guys is under an inch.

2 Otos.

6 pygmy corys. Again, maximum size on these guys is under an inch. This is the minimum recommended number for them to be happy....

8-10 Malawa shrimp. These are supposed to be even smaller than Cherrys.

I'm guessing this would be over stocking but want to get you folks' take. Is 2 Otos too few to keep? Should I just skip them and get snails for algae duty? Otos are more likely to eat algae on leafs, and I really like the little guys.....

I am willing to do blanched zucchini for the Otos, shaved frozen bloodworms for the pygmy corys, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Hi There, new tank very exciting! I would say go with one or the other on the fish selection but not both (over stocked IMO). FWIW, I had Emerald's in my tank and they were notorious for eating my baby RCS. They spent their time mid/bottom of the tanks hunting and pecking everything. I gave them away and ended up with Chili rasbora's - they tend to stay mid-tank. I am sure they eat some babies as well :) I also have pygmy cories and Love them! They have great little personalities and in a group are fun to watch. If you do just them and weekly water changes, you could get away with 8 of them. They are much happier in groups. I would also ditch the Oto's and go with amano shrimp, if your thinking about a clean up crew. I think the Oto's need a very established tank to survive in and personally I have never had luck with them no mater the age of my tank.

Good luck in your final selection, sounds like you're off to a good start !

Duff

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Hi.

Ive recently started a planted 12" cube, 7.5 gallons. I've got the finnex 360 on it, which is rated at 95 gallons/hour, vermicompost under neath fluval stratum.

Plants are dwarf hair drass, micro chain sword, dwarf sag, cardinal, hygro, rotala. Pictures etc can be found here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...96-first-planted-12x12-cube-tank-journal.html

I wont be stocking for some time, but have started thinking about what I want to do.

I want three kinds of animals in the tank:

1) A very small nano fish, so I can have enough for them to display schooling/shoaling.

2) Shrimps! Tiny ones.

3) Clean-up crew.

Here is what I want to know: Would the following be over stocking the above described tank?

8 emerald dwarf rasbora. Maximum size on these guys is under an inch.

2 Otos.

6 pygmy corys. Again, maximum size on these guys is under an inch. This is the minimum recommended number for them to be happy....

8-10 Malawa shrimp. These are supposed to be even smaller than Cherrys.

I'm guessing this would be over stocking but want to get you folks' take. Is 2 Otos too few to keep? Should I just skip them and get snails for algae duty? Otos are more likely to eat algae on leafs, and I really like the little guys.....

I am willing to do blanched zucchini for the Otos, shaved frozen bloodworms for the pygmy corys, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
6 Cories is too much. I think if you dropped the cories, your stocking would be okay. Also, I think the Malawas need high pH. Not sure how high though. Just wanted to give a heads up.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6 Cories is too much. I think if you dropped the cories, your stocking would be okay. Also, I think the Malawas need high pH. Not sure how high though. Just wanted to give a heads up.
My PH seems to be sitting rock solid at 7.0 even.

Catch me if I am wrong, but won't the two Otos kick out about as much waste as the 6 Corys combined?

I was sort of thinking, drop the Otos, add a couple nerite snails...?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi There, new tank very exciting! I would say go with one or the other on the fish selection but not both (over stocked IMO). FWIW, I had Emerald's in my tank and they were notorious for eating my baby RCS. They spent their time mid/bottom of the tanks hunting and pecking everything. I gave them away and ended up with Chili rasbora's - they tend to stay mid-tank. I am sure they eat some babies as well :) I also have pygmy cories and Love them! They have great little personalities and in a group are fun to watch. If you do just them and weekly water changes, you could get away with 8 of them. They are much happier in groups. I would also ditch the Oto's and go with amano shrimp, if your thinking about a clean up crew. I think the Oto's need a very established tank to survive in and personally I have never had luck with them no mater the age of my tank.

Good luck in your final selection, sounds like you're off to a good start !

Duff
Thanks for the indepth response!

That is a bummer about the Emerald Dwarf Rasboras :(

Here is what I want in the non-clean-up fish..

1) Small so I can have more. 1 inch or less.

2) Schooling/shoaling.

3) Looks like a "real fish". I.E, as close to a 1 inch long trout (or insert fish type here) as possible. Thus, no clear fish, prefer not crazy colors. The Emerald Dwarfs seemed the best bet. Any advice? Harlequin Rasbora would be great, but they get too big :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.