The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just started a tank journal for my 56 column, and I need some advice on stocking it.
It's been running for about a year now, I let it go every so often when I get super busy but it seems to be pretty stable. Now that I'm permanently out of school, I would really like to vamp this tank up.
I have java moss and some corkscrew val in it right now, and more plants to come before adding any more fish. I currently have 3 pygmy cories (that's all they had), two dwarf pencilfish (again, all they had), and a small bristlenose pleco. Eventually I'm adding a pair of Stiphodons.
I would like to know about the different nano schooling species I could add. I'm partial to colorful, super hardy and/or interesting fish. I loved my school of threadfin rainbows. I don't care much for tetras, their body shape isn't terribly appealing to me.
Currently I'm thinking two mid-size (8-10) schools of smaller fish, after bulking up my pygmy numbers to at least 10 and trading the pencilfish in.
Species of Interest (Schooling):
Hyalobagrus flavus (Dwarf Yellow Malayan Catfish)
Iriatherina werneri (threadfin rainbows)
Pseudomugil gertrudae (Gertrude's Rainbowfish)

Species of Interest (Centerpiece):
Pearl Gourami
Sparkling Gourami- I loved my two!
Group of female Bettas

Feel free to add more species, especially peaceful, small ones! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Sparklers. Pearls will probably frighten your tiny fish, and female betta groups are prone to abrupt (and violent) social collapse.
Do you have a reliable source for the catfish? Those guys are precious, but I've never been able to find any.

·
Registered
275 Posts
First, I would highly recommend purchasing this:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Freshwater-Nano-Species-Invertebrates-ebook/dp/B00N36W41Q

It was only $10 and I have turned to it again and again and consider it my greatest resource when it comes to nano fish. It begins with a really brief into into nano fish, then she goes on to list some of her most successful model community tanks and the reasoning behind the combinations tother. Then she lists 101 nano species giving you her hands on experience with them and what to expended. The author is Rachael o'Leary and she also sells livestock.. I order from her and always get the best stock. But more importantly even before I placed my Orders she took the time to really have an understanding for the feel I wanted from the tank.
She was so incredibly helpful I know that if you messaged her told her what you had or need to have and then the grander vision of what you want she would come up with something spectacular! You would not be disappointed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I guess I'll go with Sparklers, which is perfect! They're around $2.00 locally. I have no idea if I could get the H. bagrus locally, but they sometimes have them on Aquabid. What do you think about the schools? Could I do schools of all three? My current stocking plan is 15 Pygmy cories, 7-10 Threadfins, 7-10 Gertrudes, and maybe 5 Sparklers- if I can't find the catfish. Plus maybe a colony of dwarf crawfish or shrimp. Unfortunately, they don't have the H. bagrus on Aqadvisor for me to see how it affects my stocking levels. What are your thoughts?
I have considered getting Rachel's book, but unfortunately I am broke atm. I just graduated HS and don't yet have a job. As soon as I can get the money, I will purchase it. I have looked on her site many, many times, but have not had the financial capability to order as of yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a change of mind... I would like to have a South American biotope tank with the species of pygmy corydoras and some ember tetras, I believe. If I can get my water soft enough. Thanks all! Who knows, I may still do a mixed tank, I'm not 100% sure yet.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
That book, its the one by that girl with the Mohawk? The name slips me now.

I think corys and embers are a nice match. Unless you want to breed them, hardness should not be an issue (provided you are not on liquid rock). I would rather check to make sure the corys you choose, like similar temperatures. After years of keeping them, my breeding net is full of little corys for the first time. The only thing I did different was to adjust to their preferred temperature.

·
Registered
143 Posts
rachel O'leary is her name, she won the aquascaping contest at Aquatic Experience in Chicago 2015. She was really nice in person.

anyway, all i can say is plan it and think about it first and dont rush in deciding which one to keep. besides " beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
First, I would highly recommend purchasing this:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Freshwater-Nano-Species-Invertebrates-ebook/dp/B00N36W41Q

It was only $10 and I have turned to it again and again and consider it my greatest resource when it comes to nano fish. It begins with a really brief into into nano fish, then she goes on to list some of her most successful model community tanks and the reasoning behind the combinations tother. Then she lists 101 nano species giving you her hands on experience with them and what to expended.
So this book does have a lot of first-hand/personal experience? I was hoping it would but the excerpts I've seen of it don't leave me with that impression.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.