The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to get back into the hobby with a decent size aquarium, not sure about 55 vs 75 yet. Planning on planting and have an idea of fish I want to stock, but wanted to know amounts of fish that would be appropriate.
Looking to do a tank with some:
German Blue Rams
Rummy Nose Tetras
Bosemani Rainbows
Kuhli Loaches

Was thinking about some angels, as well, but not sure if that may be too much in the upper water column.
Do I need to worry about snails with the Kuhli Loaches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'd personally go for the 75, I like the dimensions a bit more.

You don't necessarily have to worry about kuhli loaches going wild on snails. Most of that seems to be directed at botiid loaches (think: clown, dwarf chain, yoyo loaches, and fish of similar body plans). Of course, it depends on the snails as well. Are you just wanting pest snails? Or something else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd personally go for the 75, I like the dimensions a bit more.

You don't necessarily have to worry about kuhli loaches going wild on snails. Most of that seems to be directed at botiid loaches (think: clown, dwarf chain, yoyo loaches, and fish of similar body plans). Of course, it depends on the snails as well. Are you just wanting pest snails? Or something else?
Yeah, just something to help with maintenance.

What do you think about numbers in the 75?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The 75 gives you more room for scaping and more of a buffer on your parameters based on sheer water volume. It also would be better for something that gets large like angelfish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, if you can afford the tank I would for sure go with the 75 over the 55. The extra depth makes aquascaping so much easier and more interesting. As far as specific stocking for the fish you mentioned, I would go with something close to these numbers:
German Blue Rams- 2; I know some people are able to successfully keep multiple pairs especially in larger tanks but I have never had any success personally.
Rummy Nose Tetras-8+; I don't personally think anyone should go anywhere below 6 with any sort of tetra and I think most would agree they do much better in larger groups.
Bosemani Rainbows- 8-10; Another fish that I think needs to be in larger groups but with it being a larger fish I think this is a number that could fluctuate depending on specific numbers of the other fish that you end up with and how comfortable you are with heavy stocking and your filtration methods.
Kuhli Loaches- Never have kept any before so couldn't really comment but from my cursory google search they don't seem to be a very high-bioload fish so again I would advise as large of a group as you feel comfortable. Keeping in mind that your other fish are likely higher up in the water column (possible exception being the rams depending on the aquascape and where they decide to hang out) you don't have any bottom feeder fish so you may have plenty of space for a larger group, but again I don't have any experience with them so am hesitant to give any specific numbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, if you can afford the tank I would for sure go with the 75 over the 55. The extra depth makes aquascaping so much easier and more interesting. As far as specific stocking for the fish you mentioned, I would go with something close to these numbers:
German Blue Rams- 2; I know some people are able to successfully keep multiple pairs especially in larger tanks but I have never had any success personally.
Rummy Nose Tetras-8+; I don't personally think anyone should go anywhere below 6 with any sort of tetra and I think most would agree they do much better in larger groups.
Bosemani Rainbows- 8-10; Another fish that I think needs to be in larger groups but with it being a larger fish I think this is a number that could fluctuate depending on specific numbers of the other fish that you end up with and how comfortable you are with heavy stocking and your filtration methods.
Kuhli Loaches- Never have kept any before so couldn't really comment but from my cursory google search they don't seem to be a very high-bioload fish so again I would advise as large of a group as you feel comfortable. Keeping in mind that your other fish are likely higher up in the water column (possible exception being the rams depending on the aquascape and where they decide to hang out) you don't have any bottom feeder fish so you may have plenty of space for a larger group, but again I don't have any experience with them so am hesitant to give any specific numbers.
Any other rec on bottom feeders? I know Corys are always a rec in these set ups, but if you had any other "offbeat" ones that may work?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
sounds like an awesome tank.

German Blues to prefer sandy substrate that is not overly planted.

Everything else will be fine with plants, angels too. As far as the angels I should think they would be okay in there. I have angels in my 75g community, they fight amongst each other, have never seen them go after anything other than other angels. I am down to 4... there were more than that for sure when they were young, there are 3 males and they mess with one another daily. Though nothing too serious. So if you had like 2 angels in there, You'd be great. wouldn't matter much if they were two female or two males either. My males fight mostly cause they want the female.

The angels will stay mid-upper and will hide in taller plants.

The Kuhli Loaches will get snails. Maybe just smaller ones but they will get them.

If you are looking for bottom feeders... I would say you have a few options.
1. If you go with the 75g, you can maybe look at some Siamese Algae Eaters. They get up to 6" but do work. plus they they are docile to other fish.
2. Cory are always good, they will keep the sand (is their favorite) sifted and keep the debris moving along. have maybe 5 at the minimum.
3. a bunch of Ottocinlus. These guys... well they are tricky. The seem to need to be kept happy to work well. But when they do they will clean everything for you. You will want probably 6 at the minimum.
4. lastly, a Bristlenose Pleco. there are a few variations and in a 75 you could get a male and a female.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have a pair of male angels in a 75g with keyhole cichlids. Sometimes the dominant one bullies the other, but they swim together much of the time. I got the pair when they were small.

When I add a third male purchased a month later, he attacks the others. If the third fish was a female, the pair would gang up on the lone male, so there would still be an odd man out.

I think two angles is the magic number for a 75g whether they are same sex or opposite sex.

A large group of angels where aggression is diffused, I don't think they would fit in a 75g, not without casualties and general chaos and unrest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts