The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so me and my boyfriend have been looking at different fish for a while (mostly me lol) and he likes albino angelfish which is semi aggressive and I have 9 neon tetras but I'm thinking about getting guppies or something and snails and shrimp. If not angelfish what about a betta (I have an extra tank if the betta doesn't work but I've kept bettas with both neons and guppies before)
So I was thinking like 1 or 2 angelfish or 1 betta, my 9 tetras, like 6 guppies, and undecided what snails or shrimp I want.
Is that good. Would it be overstocked?

Or if not angelfish or a male betta I might get a group of female bettas

·
Registered
625 Posts
Angelfish are a crowd pleaser for sure. I would recommend you research the betta females thoroughly first as that rarely works out. You also will not be able to keep any type of shrimp with bettas or angelfish. Amano shrimp might be ok with neon tetras.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angelfish are a crowd pleaser for sure. I would recommend you research the betta females thoroughly first as that rarely works out. You also will not be able to keep any type of shrimp with bettas or angelfish. Amano shrimp might be ok with neon tetras.
I will. I'm notn100% sure what I'm going to do. It's just brainstorming. Really no shrimp with bettas? I've had ghost shrimp with my betta in a 5 gallon like 8 years ago and I didn't have an issue before. But I'll probably get nitrile snails or mystery snails with that being said. My boyfriend just wants a "bigger fish" but I prefer smaller fish. But guppies and neons are with angels? And it won't be over crowded with the number of fish I plan on getting?

·
Registered
625 Posts
An adult ghost or amano shrimp may survive a betta. But even my celestial pearl danios whittle down my cherry shrimp so...
Did you mention if you were using a 40 tall or a 40 breeder? Because if it is a tall angelfish are the solid recommendation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An adult ghost or amano shrimp may survive a betta. But even my celestial pearl danios whittle down my cherry shrimp so...
Did you mention if you were using a 40 tall or a 40 breeder? Because if it is a tall angelfish are the solid recommendation.
Not 100% sure tbh. My co-worker is having a yard sale and she said she had a 40 but she didn't specify or was 100% sure if it was a 40 but I'll keep that in mind. We might end up making a trip to petco even and they usually only carry 40 breeders. Like I said before I'm not set in stone on the fish I'm getting

·
Registered
349 Posts
If your tank is heavily planted, and your betta is less aggressive then typical, cherry shrimp will be ok, just not the fry. I had red cherries in with my wife's betta for almost a year (In a ten gallon). Right now I have a grumpy male dwarf gourami in there, and he is constantly eyeing the shrimp. Really depends on the individual fish. I can't imagine any cherry shrimp would survive an adult angelfish. 40 gallon might not be big enough for multiple angels.. Your best bet is to get fish that need similar water parameters. Some of the more mellow gouramis would probably make a good fit with a nice sized school of tetras or rasboras...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your tank is heavily planted, and your betta is less aggressive then typical, cherry shrimp will be ok, just not the fry. I had red cherries in with my wife's betta for almost a year (In a ten gallon). Right now I have a grumpy male dwarf gourami in there, and he is constantly eyeing the shrimp. Really depends on the individual fish. I can't imagine any cherry shrimp would survive an adult angelfish. 40 gallon might not be big enough for multiple angels.. Your best bet is to get fish that need similar water parameters. Some of the more mellow gouramis would probably make a good fit with a nice sized school of tetras or rasboras...
Thank you. I'm going to buy a good amount of plants off live aquaria along with other supplies (heater, filter, decor, ect). I'll have him look at live aquaria or somewhere online and look at gouramis... he really wants an Oscar put they need a larger tank than what we're getting but they kinda look similar enough for him I guess lol

What kind of gouramis tends to be more peaceful?
I had a dwarf gourami with glolight tetras and he killed all but like 3 or 4 of them. But I don't think they had a big enough tank. It was a while ago

What kind of gouramis tends to be more peaceful?
I had a dwarf gourami with glolight tetras and he killed all but like 3 or 4 of them. But I don't think they had a big enough tank. It was a while ago
He likes flame dwarf gouramis. Would those be ok?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok... so we talked it over:
1-2 flame dwarf gourami
My already owned 9 neon tetras
6 Odessa barbs
And like 5 nertia snails
Would this be ok? Not over crowned
My tank will be planted. I'll keep the tank between. 72°F - 78°F. The ph between 6.0-7.0. The filter I'll probably the Marineland bio-wheel thingy (lol). I'm going to get some other natural looking hides and rocks as well. Should I get anything else?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Personally I question who will be taking care of the tank. IMO, whoever takes care of the tank chooses the stocking.

In a 40B, the above stocking list would work. I would advocate for increasing both the neon tetra and the odessa barb schools to 9 (odessa) and 12 fish each.

Do you have a test kit? I'd suggest buying one. Oh, and a good light would do wonders for the tank as well (the cheap single fluorescent bulbs that come in kits aren't as powerful as I think they should be for plants).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I question who will be taking care of the tank. IMO, whoever takes care of the tank chooses the stocking.

In a 40B, the above stocking list would work. I would advocate for increasing both the neon tetra and the odessa barb schools to 9 (odessa) and 12 fish each.

Do you have a test kit? I'd suggest buying one. Oh, and a good light would do wonders for the tank as well (the cheap single fluorescent bulbs that come in kits aren't as powerful as I think they should be for plants).
We will both be taking care of it (I mean mostly me) but I wanted to get something pleasing for both of us since it's in the living room where we both have to look at it. I sent him pictures of fishbthat I liked and told him to pick his favorites. I will be purchasing a test kil when I order everything else. I'm not getting an aquarium tank. I'm buying everything separate but I have a 22inch light in my pacman frogs tank which is totally unnecessary so I'll be putting that in the fish tank at least until i get a different one lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.