The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a moderately planted, high tech 20g high. Currently I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras in it, but I'd like to add 6 Celestial Pearl Danios, and perhaps a few (3 or so) pygmy corys. I have an Eheim 2215 and this tank is well established, so I'm more concerned with overcrowding than bioload.

The rasboras usually stay in the mid-region of the tank & I've read the CPD are mid-bottom dwellers also, so I'm concerned they will be crowded since I have a 20 high instead of long. I have a lot of cover, I've heard CPD can be shy. If I get them I'll buy tank raised, which it sounds like aren't as shy as wild caught.

Suggestions? Would adding 6 CPD's and a few pygmy corys be overstocked?

Also, I will eventually be setting up a 29g for either dwarf puffers or south american puffers. What's the best way to get my pond snails to breed more as they'll a big part of the puffers' diet? I have a lot of green algae but not too many snails...

Thanks!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

I think all the fish you're considering will be an OK bioload for a 20H... though you might consider dwarf rasboras instead of harlies, just to be on the safe side (they'd also be more in scale with CPDs and Pygmy Cories ;)). I think as long as you're faithful with water changes you'd be OK even with the Harlies, though.

IME snails will breed in proportion to their food source. Feed them, and they will come... :icon_bigg

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Honestly, the fish that you are looking into will add very little to the bioload. They are all so tiny that you tank will probably not skip a beat. I think you should be fine. :)

As far as the snail thing... don't worry... they WILL breed, and the number of them WILL increase exponentially. Before long, you'll have way more than you can feed to your puffers, and your friends' puffers, and your local fish store's puffers... Basically, just make sure they always have food, and they will always multiply.

...And multiply... and multiply... and multiply...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I've lurked here for awhile.. I already have the 5 harlequins. I could do less CPD's but since they sound to be shy I thought I'd be better off getting 6 so they feel secure.

The harlequins are fun to watch, very active. They're all over the tank while the lights are on, swimming in and out of my taller plants and when the lights go out for the night they school :)

These tanks are too addictive though! I have my 10g shrimp tank, the 20g I'm stocking now & my mom is giving me her 29g long when she upgrades her fancy goldfish to a 55g. I already have plans for the 29g to be a puffer tank (either 4 dwarf puffers or 2 south american puffers) and also have plans for a 5g betta tank (although is 5g really big enough for a betta to be happy?)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Chances are will rarely see the CPD's in your tank because they will always be undercover in your tank. I have 15 in my 10gallon bow front and I rarely see them. As for the Betta, I think 5gallon is more than plenty. I have mine in a 2.5 and he's doing very well. When I purchased him about 4 months ago, he was a skinny little guy. Now I think he's one of the biggest Vail tail I've seen. His body length not counting the tail is close to 2 inches and the height of his body no fins is about 3/4''.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are overstocked, then I must be a stocking fiend...

I have a 16 bow and in it are 6xCPD, 6xBurmese Gold Spot Danios, 8xPygmy Cories, 4xOtos, 2xHoneycomb Oil catfish, 2xCPO, and a handful of RCS, and have yet to have any kind of ammonia spike. It's not heavily planted, just a couple of java ferns, anubias, and a mongo clump of moss that everyone seems to enjoy, especially the shrimp and CPOs.

When it comes to nanofish, I have adopted the "If-they-all-fit-in-a-shot-glass-then-you-aren't-overstocked" rule. :tongue:

I got the danios from Franks, and I recommend them. They are pretty, they shoal together, and get along nicely with the CPDs, who seem to enjoy the company. My pygmy cories even try to shoal with them occasionally.

I may RAOK the otos, I can't get them to eat zuchini or algae wafers, yet I can't imagine that there is enough algae to keep them fed. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I almost never saw my 7 CPDs in my 10 gallon, then I gave them to my friend in her 15 gallon and they are out ALL the time! Both tanks were simmilar, heavily planted. They just aren't as shy in her tank and we can't figure out why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.