The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the fish community. I've kept simple tanks with all the same species (ie neon tetras, guppies, ect) but kinda long story short. At the moment I have 6 neon tetras and 2 glolight tetras (my glolights started to die from old age) both of the tetras species shoal together if that matters but what other fish or inverts could I add to a 20 gallon tank with them. Preferably beginner to moderate fish.
Im thinking of maybe adding a betta or a dwarf gourmami

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I also have pond snails or something in their tank from plants I've bought. Idk how much they affect the stocking abilities but I wouldn't mind getting more attractive snails or ones that help with maintenance

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'd maybe go for some cories, betta and dwarf gourami are kind of jerks when it comes to community settings. Sometimes they will work but a lot of times they won't and since you want easy I wouldn't consider this. Cories could give you some motion on the bottom of your tank and they are very fun to watch. You could do a school of 8 and they would really come out and play.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd maybe go for some cories, betta and dwarf gourami are kind of jerks when it comes to community settings. Sometimes they will work but a lot of times they won't and since you want easy I wouldn't consider this. Cories could give you some motion on the bottom of your tank and they are very fun to watch. You could do a school of 8 and they would really come out and play.
Thank you! I had a betta with my tetras and it was actually my tetras causing the issues because they were nipping his fins but he didn't seem to care but I separated them anyways. But what kind of cories or are cories just cories?. I'm thinking about getting them from live aquaria because my only other option is petco lol
What about female bettas? I never had them before?

What about fiddler crabs?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've kept fiddlers and betta together before successfully and not so successfully lol, it honestly depends on the betta. As far as cories go pandas are always a favourite, they are a little more sensitive than say a peppered cory but still not unreasonable for an easy care tank. I wouldn't go with the larger types of cory (emerald and bronze cory come to mind) because of the size of your tank but any of the mid/ smaller sized would do just fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've kept fiddlers and betta together before successfully and not so successfully lol, it honestly depends on the betta. As far as cories go pandas are always a favourite, they are a little more sensitive than say a peppered cory but still not unreasonable for an easy care tank. I wouldn't go with the larger types of cory (emerald and bronze cory come to mind) because of the size of your tank but any of the mid/ smaller sized would do just fine.
I didn't necessarily mean fiddlers with bettas but thats helpful. Thank you. I kinda want a fairly diverse tank (I know that's kinda hard with a 20 gallon tbh I might not even keep it. I might go bigger). Like what if I do a few cories and maybe a few fiddlers or shrimp of some sort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.