The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. A friend of mine had a 20 gallon tank with a pretty old tetra HOB filter, a old, (AND RECALLED XD) topfin HT150 heater, as well as 5 Pipidae frogs that he raised from tadpoles from those infomercials on TV. pretty funny actually, considering the largest is about a foot long... Anyway. I got them out of the 20 gallon, and I went to the home improvement store and bought a 30 gallon tub. I put them in the tub, figured it was cheaper than spending money on a tank as it will just be cloudy anyway as these guys are legit HOGS.

Anyway, I wanted to know what I should put in the 20 gallon. I actually have a "species list" of species I eventually want to keep sometime. Here are the ones I was considering: German Blue Ram/gold ram, cory cat, cherry barb, dwarf rasboras. I really only want to keep a single species in this tank, as well as some simple to grow plants like swords, etc.

I don't know if the heater is a collectors item or anything lol. If I called them or something would they send me a replacement heater? Thanks

I'm free for lots of other suggestions for stocking this tank btw.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
German Blue Ram/gold ram: Pair bonding. Keep 1M + 1F. No more bottom oriented fish, but something to swim in the upper area to make them feel safe.

cory cat: MANY species, with different requirements. Research. Social fish that do not understand Rams' territory. May or may not work well with Rams. Might eat the eggs.

cherry barb: Nice fish for this size tank. Males can get a bit pushy toward each other. Try 2-3M + 6-8F. OK with Cories, could make a good dither fish for the Rams.

dwarf rasboras: Would make a good dither fish for the Rams. Good with Cories, especially if you get dwarf Cories. Several species with slightly different requirements.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
German Blue Ram/gold ram: Pair bonding. Keep 1M + 1F. No more bottom oriented fish, but something to swim in the upper area to make them feel safe.

cory cat: MANY species, with different requirements. Research. Social fish that do not understand Rams' territory. May or may not work well with Rams. Might eat the eggs.

cherry barb: Nice fish for this size tank. Males can get a bit pushy toward each other. Try 2-3M + 6-8F. OK with Cories, could make a good dither fish for the Rams.

dwarf rasboras: Would make a good dither fish for the Rams. Good with Cories, especially if you get dwarf Cories. Several species with slightly different requirements.
I'm leaning towards doing the pair of GBR, then a small school of a smaller fish like cherry barbs. I really want a couple cory cats. DAMN! that would be a REALLY nice setup. a small school of cories, small school of bright red cherry barbs and 2 main GBR's. I know that's pushing it though. I'll save that combo for a future tank.

Would GBR's do well in a 20g? Would I be able to do the GBR's and maybe.. say 10 cherry barbs? Rummy nose tetras could be an option. Gimme some stocking options. I am fairly new to this hobby and my only tank is a 20 gallon LONG with some rainbows (dwarf), guppies, endlers. I want something exotic, and I don't want a community tank. I really want only 2-3 species at most.

What would YOU stock in here?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your GBR/cory/dither combo could work, provided you have the filtration/vegetation to keep the tank stable! If you like the red, and want smaller fish that could allow for a decent school, you could also look into a few tetras (i.e. rummies or bloodfin, or embers) or things like White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Minnows have beautiful red fins and make a fine dither school, but that's just my opinion (I have minnows as a dither school for my angels).

If you get GBRs and cories, keep an eye out. Cories are adorable little water guinea pigs, but they're not the sharpest hook in the sea. The GBRs might not appreciate their presence, or you could luck out and never have anything happen. A good idea would be to provide refuge for the cories that the GBRs can't get into, in case a chase happens. I've had luck with albino and peppered (don't have the peppered anymore though). Listen to Diana, I'm just basically repeating everything already said. >.>

If you've got the filtration power, you can get away with slightly-overstocking a tank. Most keepers do. I have a school of nine minnows, four angels, and six various catfish (cories included) in a 20, and it's doing just fine, though inch-to-gallon I'm horrendously overstocked.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cory cats are some of my favorites, they are so playful they remind me of underwater dogs. My peppered cory cats will eat out of my hand too! Make sure if you get corys you put some sand in your tank, they suck up the sand and filter out the food and shoot the sand out of their gills, very neat to watch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow.. Apistogramas though. I'll save those for a species tank maybe.

I can get the filtration power for sure. I was thinking two GBR's, and a school of rummynose tetras. That should work out.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I like to do the things that are not seen so often. One is a cichlid but works even in smallish tanks. Labidochromis chisumulae is a small fish that fit well in my first attempt at planted tanks. A small pile of rocks in the back corner for a breeding spot and they were happy.

I used the tank as a combo growout for Hap ahli fry as well as space for breeding the chisum. The male is the blue with black stripes while the females are the pearl colored ones. The ahli are the darker pair. I like this picture because is shows the female above in the weeds has her mouth full of fry. Happy little campers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.