The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a "teacup" Retic. stingray for my 72 bowfront (and yes I know it will get bigger the 72 is not permanent for the ray or the Geo's). So i want to do the most research possible first, I'm at the end of my digging and about to decide. So any people with experience or inside tips on keeping a "teacup" Stingray or any ray for that fact? The other inhabitants are Several Geophagus, male Port Acara, Three Spot Gourami and a male L128 Pleco, all being filtered by a FX5 and a H.O.T. Magnum. (And also yes I'm aware of the danger with the Pleco).

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Until you have a tank for the rays, I would't put them in to what appears to be an overcrowded tank. They are not suitable tank mates.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
rays are quite tricky, i wouldn't advise using a 72 bow tank, but if you must I will give you my opinion.
1. no pleco ( don't think it may not work, i'll tell you right now it won't work. If you listen to nothing else I post please avoid the pleco)

2. diet is very important with this species... Frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp are good for smaller specimens, as they grow to a sub adult size you can suppliment the diet with live ghost shrimp to keep them active and predatory. ( you will love to watch them hunt prey) Adults will eat nearly anything, I prefer a pellet diet consisting of Hikari Massivore pellets, and sinking carnivore pellets depending on what kinda cash I have at the time of purchase. Live earthworms and frozen beef heart are a good treat for larger rays. Do not feed krill, it has way too much protein and will kill your ray quickly. If you get a ray that will not eat frozen or pellet diet live black worms will definately peak his interest and should only be used to start feeding. After feeding black worms for a about a week the ray should start eating a frozen diet. Take that opporunity to dose Metronidizole to get whatever garbage came in with the live worms out of the tank

3.Water parameters... Ph of 6.5-7.0 is a standard among individuals and shops alike with a temperature range from 76-84F (i keep my rays at about 88 in the store and have very good luck)

4. Tankmates, In my opinion the best tankmates for rays are species that will not really compete with them for food or territory. Surface dwelling species like african butterfly fish will do very well and never venture down in to stingray turf. It will also keep 2/3 of the tank occupied with just the ray and the butterfly fish. As far as middle dwelling, some species of geophagus will fare pretty well.

geophagus jurupari
yellow fin curviceps
discus (if not other middle dwelling tankmates are in the tank)
Larger tetras

hope this helps!

F

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've read that "teacup" rays are not a good size to start with. They are supposed to be more delicate.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I would suggest reading up on how to look up on the fish on Monsterfish keepers and other specialst forums. I read a lot into it when my uncle started breeding motoro's and if a 40 years of experience fishkeeper struggles a noob will almost certainly too.
They're extremely difficult to keep, they're VERY rare in the wild, they're expensive to keep and look after as well as producing about as much waste as mabuna if not more with being cariverous. Your tank is too small, the style of tank aren't really suitable and you're already at the top end of stocking and with a lot of unsuitable tank mates, my advice would be to forget rays for this tank. Even the smaller hymachura asiatic rays aren't really suitable.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
BTW, a lot of Uk ray breeders use shallow wide tanks with nothing smaller than 120gallons. They're also extremely sensetive to ammonia and nitrate. Don't buy cheap, it's a bad move as it will encourage shop owners to persue more cheap imports, buy tank bred stock from a recognised breeder and not put further pressure on sensitive wild stock, yes it's more expensive but quality of stock and their wellfare should be your paramount concern with such sensitive animals.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks for the help, i guess ill wait till i have another tank for the pleco, other than that, everything isn't too bad for a ray, most of my fish stay towards the top of the aquarium, I wasn't planning on keeping the ray in the 72 for very long. And thanks for the details F22, any more inside tips for when i do happen to get one?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
keep an eye on the acara if he starts to act up with the ray pull him out.

I would also suggest a soft substrate. sand or eco complete works well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts