The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have to admit that I'm total newbie when it comes to CO2 systems so let's take it slow :D

I was reading this Rex Grigg site: http://www.rexgrigg.com/regset.html but the illustration is not really complete. It doesn't show what goes after the regulator... (diffuser??) So I tried searching the forum but the more I looked, the more confused I got. :confused:

My question basically is:
1. What equipments do I need for setting up a COMPLETE pressurized CO2? So far, my understanding is:

Tank->Regulator->Solenoid->Bubble Counter->check valve->Diffuser->Powerhead ?????

2. Are there any "All-In-One Systems" out there that I can buy as a kit, that way I won't make any mistakes rather than picking up the parts one-by-one?

Driving to get refills is not a problem for me. Money is not an issue either. My budget is around $500 for a CO2 system, I just don't know what to get. I'd appreciate it if someone can post links and guide me as to where and what to buy.

Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
You basically got it - although some people use a reactor instead of a diffusor.

Here is a picture of the JBJ all-in-one dual-gauge regulator with handy labels for each part of the equipment. I have this one and have been very happy with it but I think Rex's is better quality. The JBJ was ~$75 and the 5 lb canister of CO2 I bought locally at a welding supply shop was $65. I used a DIY inline reactor for awhile ($15), then switched out to a ADA 'beetle' diffusor ($80) - definitely a luxury and not critical. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
The powerhead is not necessary; as long as you have good circulation in your aquarium.

I have one of Rex's regulators and it is a real solid unit. I think you're best off talking to him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

So if I go with the Rex regulator, can I just get the rest of the stuff from my local LFS?

thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can get the regulator with Ideal valve, solenoid, brass in-line check valve, bubble counter, MK II perma-seal and CO2 tubing from Rex. You can get a CO2 tank at a welding supply store or fire extinguisher store.

Are you planning on using a diffuser or reactor? Rex makes a reactor you can buy from him or get from a lfs. You can buy diffusers at your lfs or ebay (a lot of people on the Forum use Rhinox diffusers from AquaticMagic)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rex sells absolutely everything you need for a CO2 setup other than the tank and diffuser (which you dont need if you use a reactor).

Basically, correct me if i am wrong everyone, a diffusor and a reactor perform the same function. They both dissolve the CO2 into the water, they just use differet methods to do so.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you want a good regulator, go to Rex and aquariumplants.com. That's what most people recommend. I just received mine from aquariumplants.com the "best" $149 one not the milwaukee. it almost a complete package. you only need to buy a cylinder, reactor or diffuser and hook it up.
I will tell you how it turn out once i replace the leak tank.

·
Registered
711 Posts
if you want a good regulator, go to Rex and aquariumplants.com. That's what most people recommend. I just received mine from aquariumplants.com the "best" $149 one not the milwaukee. it almost a complete package. you only need to buy a cylinder, reactor or diffuser and hook it up.
I will tell you how it turn out once i replace the leak tank.

I have been using "the best" for a couple of years now and it's been running flawlessly even when I changed the co2 bottle did not have to touch the regulator's setting or readjust anything.and before I forget the brand is Cornelius which is what REx is using(at least the last time I checked).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Ditto to above. I have two of the Aquariumplants.com "best" and they have performed flawlessly. They use a Cornelius regulator which lets the pressure down very slowly (probably or possibly) eliminating the notorious "end of tank dump". Rex uses the same high quality regulator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.