The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys after upping my dosage of fertiliser im using TNC complete, tropica premium and flourish excel with some dry potassium powder, some of my plants are still struggling

my lights are on 6-7 hours a day, very good flow in the tank I’m not using c02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys after upping my dosage of fertiliser im using TNC complete, tropica premium and flourish excel with some dry potassium powder, some of my plants are still struggling

my lights are on 6-7 hours a day, very good flow in the tank I’m not using c02

LOts of questions that will aid helping:

Could you report on water parameters?
PH and TDS?
RO or Tap?
Carbon Filtering?
Do you have several species of plant that have reached the "melt" point and need to be removed so the other species can thrive?
Water changes? How often and how much?
Do you lights just go on or do they ramp up?
Do we know the lights PAR rating?
Planting Medium? Stratum? Sand?

ASIDE from all that, this is MY GO TO method from any tank problems:

Get that PH as close to 7 as possible so I am in a neutral state, and know I am not harming plants or animals.

Again everyone has their favorite filter media, I am a believer in Seachem Purigen. I always have a bag running in my Fluval 107 filters, but it works in any HOB or Canister Situation. Usually replaces the carbon bag in any filter situation.

If you have carbon running in your filter, remove it. While being an excellent porous cheap medium for filtering, it also removes nutrients from the water your plants need.

I also always have a few new bags of it around if I see a tank getting gunky.

Do a 30% water change, and when you do really insepct your plants to see if some of them have reached the point of no return and need to be removed.

More light is not always the best when you are trying to heal your plants. To be honest after I switched to lights that ramp up and down, my plants do even better. They get 20% light for the first hour, then 50% for the next hour, ramps up to 100% for only 3 hours of the day and then begins to ramp down.

If some of the plants also thrive above the water level you can expose part of tyhe plant to open air, giving it a much easier resource to pull nitrients from. Be sure not to burn the leaves! I sometimes achieve this "amazon rainforest effect" by using a simply home cool mist machine, blowing cold humid air into the tank with the water level lowered.

Hope this is helpful. A million ways to be a farmer ~ this is mine.

3 Gallon Shrimp/Planted/Monte Carlo Carpet/CO2/Fluval 107 Canister/One Flat Nano Plus/Continous PH Monitoring 6.4-7/ Temp 74.5/TDS 245/5 species shrimp/14 species plant/RO Water/Salty Shrimp
6 Gallon ADA (with the above setup)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd give it a little more time. It takes longer than a week to see results in the planted tank world. Keep watching, especially your new growth, but I'd wait another 2-3 weeks before making any more changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for the late reply 5 month old baby rules the house at the moment 😂 these are the only parameters I can provide at the moment due to not having much

TDS is between 699/710
KH and GH are over 214.8 that was the max my kit went too brand new bottles but a year out of date
PH I have test kit for sorry
Im using tap water
No carbon filtering
30/40% water change every 10 days
Lights just come im using a small fluorescent so gets brighter as it warms up
Sorry I’ve got no par rating im still learning 🙈
Substrate/medium is a aqua plant/bonsai type brown medium can’t remember exactly it’s not branded like fluval etc

sorry hope this helps you give me some info 👍

·
Registered
199 Posts
What @Mark Fisher says.. Don't go nuts changing a bunch of things.

Your plants' issues could be any number of things - troubleshooting takes patience.

When my Ferns were looking rough turned out to be a potassium deficiency. I trimmed any leaves that had holes, etc and started dosing. It took a month before I noticed new growth.

At the same time other plants looked like they had a nitrogen deficiency. Then I realized during the past rough year the plants had grown a lot (despite being neglected) and they were all starving. So I increased macros and micros in a simple way and plants are slowly coming back.

In a non injected tank, nothing happens quickly

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.