The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running an Aquatek every 15 mins (2bps) from 11A-7PM, using proper spiral ceramic top diffuser...2WPG light...in combination with an AC 20 aerator at the other end of the tank away from the diffuser.

Reason for aerator was due to the wife complaining :)eek:)about the Eheim spraybar trickling on the water surface too loudly. Lowered the spraybar into the water to "shut it up", basically nullifying any surface oxygenation, thus the addition of the aerator.

Yeah, I know...yak, yak, yak. Just trying to give the complete picture here.

My question is...using the aerator going to basically make the CO2 useless overall?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Wait? So how are you running your co2? Constantly through the day from 11-7? Or what? That doesn't make sense...

All you need is the spray bar pointed slightly at the surface to have surface agitation. It doesn't need to be on the surface splashing. That is all air stones accomplish, just on large, inefficient, wasteful level.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait? So how are you running your co2? Constantly through the day from 11-7? Or what? That doesn't make sense...
In between 11-7 during the day, it's on for 15 mins, then off for 15 mins...back on, back off, etc.

After 7PM, it's turned off entirely until 11A the following day, which resumes the 15 on/off thing.

All you need is the spray bar pointed slightly at the surface to have surface agitation. It doesn't need to be on the surface splashing. That is all air stones accomplish, just on large, inefficient, wasteful level.
Don't have to see bubbles in the water? Just little ripples on the top will work okay?

I don't want to gradually "gas" the fish. Perhaps I'm being a little paranoid. Like I said, very new at "proper" CO2.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I can't think of a good reason to run your co2 on and off all day long. None at all. You'd be better off running 1bps all day. Co2 fluctuations will undoubtedly cause algae. You do not need to see bubbles in the tank to get good gas exchange. Ripples on the surface are more than adequate.

Your drop checker will never be able to show you the fluctuations that you are causing by turning co2 on and off all day. You are only limiting your plants with this co2 roller coaster you are on. That and encouraging algae.

You won't "slowly" gas your fish. They will slowly become more acclimated to co2 and be able to handle much higher levels.

Just go slow and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Yea it definitely seems pretty absurd to run your co2 system on that on/off schedule. Just schedule it to go on an hour before your lights come on and turn off at a little before or when your lights go off. Just set a real slow bubble rate and let that go for a while. Do slight increases each day until you get the proper color on your drop checker.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. That sounds pretty reasonable, particularly on the on/off CO2 thing.

I did turn off the aerator and once I did, there was still plenty of agitation coming from the spraybar just below the surface.

Thanks folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.