The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Cadet (light blue-gray mystery snail) and Private Benjamin (yellow-gold) are really quite attracted to each other. Usually a couple of times a day. This has been going on for weeks now. I thought we would have a clutch laid above the water line within the first couple of days, but didn’t happen. Then Private Benjamin must have decided the water was too high in the aquarium and I found her one morning on the carpet, all shut up in her shell. Fortunately the cats hadn’t found her yet. Well, zucchini and the nearness of her beau brought her back to life. I moved the two lovers to another tank with a better canopy that would hopefully keep her from crawling out. I also lowered the water in that aquarium to about 3 1/2” below the canopy. So, those two snails have been going at often enough the shrimp are embarrassed—at least twice a day for the last ten days again. But no eggs.

Has anybody ever had sterile Mystery Snails? My water parameters are: GH=6 KH=2-3 pH=7.2, Ammonia and Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates max 5 ppm (at 5 ppm, I do a 20-30% water change. CO2 injection was just started yesterday, so can’t be responsible for the past. Tankmates are 6* Orange Pumpkin Sakura, 2 Amano and King Ozymandias—a Crowntail Betta who ignores his subjects completely.

* There were 7, but Private Benjamin ate one. I think it had just molted and was vulnerable and she started eating it while it was still alive! How do you discipline a Mystery Snail?`

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
The problem is you want more snails. Put in your mind that you don't want any more and you are perfectly happy with the balance of the tank. Keep thinking that and blink. Then they will reproduce.

Anyway if you are finding the snails out of the tank I would think they are wanting more food. I feed my snails when there is not a lot of algae for them to eat. When there is a lot of algae I leave them be.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
The problem is you want more snails. Put in your mind that you don't want any more and you are perfectly happy with the balance of the tank. Keep thinking that and blink. Then they will reproduce.

Anyway if you are finding the snails out of the tank I would think they are wanting more food. I feed my snails when there is not a lot of algae for them to eat. When there is a lot of algae I leave them be.
I agree with them likely wanting food. I have only singles but in multiple tanks. I literally don't want them to multiply. But they only came to the top when there weren't fish and they weren't getting any pellets. otherwise mine are always way below the water line.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking she might be “in the family way” and eating tor 40 or 80 eggs she might lay, I had been feeding her on zucchini and kale (blanched). Considering how much she ate, I don’t think she was hungry. (Eating the poor shrimp happened ten or twelve days later.) I thought she was just trying to get far enough above the water line that she could lay her eggs and kind of fell over the edge.

I shall try to forget about wanting baby snails and perhaps it will happen although that approach with my children hasn’t turned up any grandchildren. Must have forgotten to blink. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.