The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added the sterbai's to my tank a week ago and although they are young and not yet very large I think they are a beautiful fish and all seven never leave each others sides and very active even in the day time.a little skittish if spooked but that is not surprising.Put these down as my favorite with Julli a close second.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I added the sterbai's to my tank a week ago and although they are young and not yet very large I think they are a beautiful fish and all seven never leave each others sides and very active even in the day time.a little skittish if spooked but that is not surprising.Put these down as my favorite with Julli a close second.
Hi Doogy262,

Probably one of my favorite Corys as well. I have both the regular and the albino C. sterbai (yes the albino still have orange pectoral fins) and they are good cleaners.

C. sterbai as juvies; I have since separated them

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very easy to breed also, vert nice to see hundreds a baby searching for food
Do you know how old they are at breeding time or approximate size.These are pretty small but already growing a little.

Bump:
Hi Doogy262,

Probably one of my favorite Corys as well. I have both the regular and the albino C. sterbai (yes the albino still have orange pectoral fins) and they are good cleaners.

C. sterbai as juvies; I have since separated them
great pic mine are just beginning to come out and check the weather.lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Curious, how many do you think would be good in a 300 gallon (96" long)? They most likely will have the entire bottom level to themselves. Planning on large groups of Denisonii barbs and Congo tetras as tank mates.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi r45t4m4n,

Decades ago when I worked in a LFS the rule of thumb was one catfish per 5 gallons; however I think a nice school of 25 catfish would look great in a 300 tank!

Nice school of C. sterbai (not my pic)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I haven't had any luck getting mine to breed.
They do the spawning dance daily and I even see one with an egg tube out but I haven't found any eggs.

Am I just missing them or is something else going wrong?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I haven't had any luck getting mine to breed.
They do the spawning dance daily and I even see one with an egg tube out but I haven't found any eggs.

Am I just missing them or is something else going wrong?
Hi solchitlins,

My C. sterbai have bred several times, what I have found it they are no where near as prolific as their cousins such as C. aeneus and they spread their eggs over many surfaces of the tank. Also instead of laying all of their eggs at once it seems to happen over several days. I find that freeze-dried Tubifex worms are excellent for conditioning.

C. sterbai eating freeze-dried Tubifex worms

1 - 8 of 8 Posts