The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking if anyone ran in to something like this before as it is a little new to me.
I got billed today $722 from state hospital for some medical bill from my step son. Yes it was addressed to me on behave of him. I called the 800 number to talk with them because I got good insurance were I work $250 payout the the rest is 100% for the year. So I am interested why I am getting billed $722 and it being addressed to me. I would think since I am not legal guardian that am I responsible or is his mother or real father? So I called the hospital and talked to them they asked me his birth date and then asked if his mother was here. I said she is at work. They said they needed her authorize that I can talk to them about the account? WHAT?? You are billing me $722 but are not able to talk to me why you are billing me $722. They told me since I am the step father I can not talk to them unless they get authorization from mother or father. I believe it is from his knee surgery but how can I fix this problem with insurance if they don't want to work with me?
Now I know about the HIPPA law but they can bill me but not talk to me why they are billing me?
Yes his father has insurance on him and I also added him to my insurance because his father insurance covers 10% of all medical bills which is just about worthless. My insurance and his father insurance fight all the time in paying the medical bills. His father insurance Blue Cross says they are not primary so they try and get out in paying the 10% before my insurance pays the 100%.
Anyone else run across this?

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of insurance. I think you are getting the bill because you are the "primary" insured. I did medical billing for several years and we had many issues with Blue Cross claiming that they are the secondary insurance. In most cases, it was similar to your situation where they only paid a small portion and insisted on being the secondary insurance so they wouldn't have to pay much if anything at all. Unfortunately due to HIPPA laws, you cannot get any information about your step son's account until one of the parents authorizes it. You can have your wife request to have a note put on her son's account authorizing you for any future inquires.
Good luck getting this resolved.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info cah925 but I just don't understand how I can be reliable for something if I can't even talk to them to resolve the issue. As for my wife calling in good luck on that one. I tried to get her to call in this evening and she did not do it.
This is like me buying a car and saying this person will pay for it or better yet crashing a car and then pointing to the 1st person I see and say you are paying me $722 because well you are the 1st person I seen and if they ask me how I crashed my car screw off I don't need to tell you. I bet if I tell them hey I will pay the $722 they would have no problem at all in taking my money. Bet my wife would not need to call then.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just tell her and the kids dad that if they don't want to call in, you will take him off your insurance and dads can pay all of it and they could be responsible for what the insurance don't pay. I did that with my stepkids and I did take them off my insurance.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Unfortunately, more insurance does mean not better coverage. Each insurance carrier will claim to be secondary. Each also has their own convoluted formula of figuring out who is primary and why. Getting everyone on the same page is the key.

They will do everything in their power not to pay.

You are being billed because the patient is covered through your insurance and the coverage is better and they live with you. According to HIPPA regulations they cannot talk to you unless you are the biological parent or have authorization from the biological parent. This has nothing to do with billing. It has to do with privacy of patient information, yep government redtape. When the child was admitted you were probably asked who will be financially responsible. You may have answered, my insurance .......... bingo you're it!

This will continue as long as you have both insurances; until you get everyone on the same page (good luck); drop one of the insurances or legally adopt the child.

You need to be persistent and spend a lot of time on the phone. They will try to wear you down and give up, the insurance companies that is. They don't pay, you pay or get sent to collections either way, they win.

:proud: mistergreen and susankat

Being in the medical field for over 25 yrs, what I see is the patients get the run around, the providers of service pray everyday that they will be paid for the work that they do and the insurance companys have millions and millions in profits. Is there something wrong with this picture?

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts