The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

First off let me say Hi and thanks for having me. Been in the planted tank hobby about 7 months now and just joined the forum. After many times reading up on some of your threads during research, i finally just bit the bullet and joined. So, thanks for having me!

Secondly, I have what may be a dumb question. I recently (read: 4 days ago) added a bunch of Myriophyllum heterophyllum and Myriophyllum pinnatum to my 30 gallon, in an effort to have a more full background (myrio was joining Cabomba sp.). The delivery of myrio that i received was pretty roughed up, and there were a few stems that were extremely difficult to tell which way way up. I trimmed off the dead material, and snipped off the bottom maybe 1" or so before planting.

Soooo, my question is this: would a stemmed plant (myrio) be able to survive/grow if planted upside down?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes, sometimes. I have some Hygrophila that floats out of the sand sometimes, (probably done by my Pleco), and after a few days of floating in the bunch they have roots at both ends and the leaves have rotated towards the light making it impossible to tell which end is up. Replanted them and they do fine. By the next day the leaves point in the right direction again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, the plant grows from the apical meristem which is at the top. So it shouldn't increase in height, but it'll probably send out side shoots if the conditions are good. Don't feel discouraged, I have a ton of myriophyllum mattogrosense in my tank and I got it from a single, almost-dead scrap in an ROAK.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I am hopeful. Eco complete substrate and a quad bulb T8 (used to be for a reef system) up top, and I'm dosing the full sechem line (flourish/excel/iron/potassium/trace). Hopefully if it doesn't grow up, it can invest the energy in runners.

Thanks! I have hope now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.